Find the exact value of this inverse function

Right, so what is cos(2x) given that cos(2x)=cos^2(x)-sin^2(x) ?cos(2x) is 1-2sin^2(x)In summary, to find the exact value of cos(2arcsin(-1/8)), use the double angle formula cos(2x) = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x) and substitute x=arcsin(-1/8) to get cos(2arcsin(-1/8)) = 1-2sin^2(arcsin(-1/8)). Then, use the fact that sin(arcsin(x)) = x to simplify the equation to cos(2ar
1irishman

Homework Statement

Find the exact value of cos(2arcsin(-1/8))

Homework Equations

make use of the double angle formula

The Attempt at a Solution

let arcsin(-1/8)=theta
then sin theta= -1/8

a=sqrt63=3sqrt7
and that is as far as i could go...please help? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
1irishman said:

Homework Statement

Find the exact value of cos(2arcsin(-1/8))

Homework Equations

make use of the double angle formula

The Attempt at a Solution

let arcsin(-1/8)=theta
then sin theta= -1/8
So now evaluate cos(2theta).
1irishman said:
a=sqrt63=3sqrt7
and that is as far as i could go...please help? Thank you.
Where does a come in?

'a' was a side i named

OK. Still, you need to evaluate cos(2theta). One identity is cos(2theta) = cos^2(theta) - sin^2(theta). This identity appears in two other forms, one of which will be useful for this problem.

i'm still lost...

1irishman said:
i'm still lost...

Draw a picture of the angle θ and label the sides of a little triangle appropriately to have a sine of -1/8. You can read all six trig functions off that triangle and should be able to calculate cos(2θ) from there.

Since you were told "make use of the double angle formula", [itex]cos(2\theta)= cos^2(\theta)- sin^2(\theta)= 1- 2sin^2(\theta)[/itex].

You know that [itex]sin(\theta)= \frac{1}{8}[/itex].

what does cos^2 equal?

1irishman said:
what does cos^2 equal?

cos2(θ) is just an abbreviation for (cos(θ))2.

1irishman said:
what does cos^2 equal?

Once you draw your right-triangle and label an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] then since sin[itex]\theta[/itex] = -1/8, you know what your opposite and hypotenuse sides are, then you can use pythagoras' theorem to find the 3rd side. This will give you cos[itex]\theta[/itex].

cos(2x)[itex]= cos^2(x)- sin^2(x)[/itex][itex]= (1- sin^2(x))- sin^2(x)= 1- 2sin^2(x)[/itex]

If x= arcsin(-1/8) what is sin(x)?

I just notice that I had said this same thing several days ago!

Last edited by a moderator:
sin x is -1/8

Right, so what is cos(2x) given that cos(2x)=cos^2(x)-sin^2(x) ?

Mentallic said:
Right, so what is cos(2x) given that cos(2x)=cos^2(x)-sin^2(x) ?
Which, as I pointed out in the post that Irishman's post was in response to (and, I just noticed, several days ago!) , is equal to [itex]1- 2sin^2(x)[/itex].

Irishman, if sin(x)= -1/8, what is [itex]sin^2(x)[/itex]? What is [itex]1- 2sin^2(x)[/itex]?

HallsofIvy said:
Which, as I pointed out in the post that Irishman's post was in response to (and, I just noticed, several days ago!)

Yes, I know, this identity has been mentioned at least 3 times in this thread now. It just seems like 1irishman is only considering and responding to the most recent reply in this thread each time he logs back on, so I felt the need to hold his hand as we guide him through the process...

HallsofIvy said:
If x= arcsin(-1/8) what is sin(x)?

1irishman said:
sin x is -1/8

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a mathematical concept where the input and output values of a function are reversed. In other words, an inverse function "undoes" the original function, producing the original input when given the output and vice versa.

2. Why is finding the exact value of an inverse function important?

Finding the exact value of an inverse function is important because it allows us to solve equations and perform other mathematical operations with more precision and accuracy. It also helps us understand the relationship between a function and its inverse, which is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science.

3. How do I find the exact value of an inverse function?

To find the exact value of an inverse function, you need to follow a specific set of steps depending on the type of function. In general, you can start by switching the roles of x and y in the original function, then solve for y to get the inverse function. Finally, you can substitute the given value of x into the inverse function to find the exact value.

4. Can all functions have an inverse?

No, not all functions have an inverse. For a function to have an inverse, it must pass the horizontal line test, which means that every horizontal line intersects the function at most once. Functions that fail this test, such as horizontal lines or parabolas, do not have an inverse.

5. What are some real-life applications of inverse functions?

Inverse functions have many real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. For example, in physics, inverse functions are used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, while in economics, they are used to model supply and demand curves. Inverse functions are also used in computer graphics to manipulate images and in cryptography to encode and decode messages.