1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the force needed to move the elephant

1. Oct 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A very stong 115 kg man is having a tug of war with 1750 kg elephant. the coefficient friction for both on the groud is 1.o. a) find the force needed to move the elphant. b)
    What would happen if the man could exert such a force

2. Relevant equations
    F=w+a

3. The attempt at a solution
    A)115kg+1750kg/1.0 =1865N
    am i write?
    B) the guy will probaly die
    am i right?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2
    I think you might need to re think this slightly. Start by thinking about, or even better listing, all of the forces involved (all forces currently acting on the object you're interested in) and have a look in some text books or do an internet search to make sure you have all of the relevant (and correct) equations to solve the problem.

Once you have all of that you can start thinking about the additional force required (given the existing forces) to move the object.

Ben.

4. Oct 12, 2012 #3
    In order to move the elephant you would need to overcome its friction. How is its friction related to its weight?

5. Oct 12, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hint: what would happen on ice? :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook