1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the formula for X=tP+sQ under a translation and a rotation

1. Aug 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A group of American physicist works on a project where planar lines are in the form X=tP+sQ, where P and Q are two fixed different points and s, t are varying reals satisfying s+t=1. They need to know formulae for the images of the line X=tP+sQ in the following three cases:
    1. Under the translation by a vector B
    2. Under rotation about a point C by 180 degrees
    3. Under rotation about a point C by 90 degrees
    Please provide those formulae and a justification for them.

2. Relevant equations
    X=tP+sQ
    s+t=1

3. The attempt at a solution
    A translation by a vector, B will preserve length and slope, so the new formulae is X=tP+sQ+B.

A rotation will preserve length, but not necessarily slope. I know that with points, a 90 degree rotation will give (x,y) -> (y,-x) and that a rotation of 180 degrees will give (x,y) -> (-x,y).

I'm not sure how to use this information to get to a clear answer, with a formula and justification for it.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are standard formulas for the transition from ##(x,y)## to ##(x',y')## under a rotation through angle ##\theta##. Just use them on each of the points P and Q.

4. Aug 7, 2014 #3
    Where would I find these formulas? I have tried google and come up with nothing...?

5. Aug 8, 2014 #4

verty

Homework Helper

For a rotation at C, translate C to the origin, rotate, translate the origin to C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted