Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the function for this Taylor series

1. Jul 13, 2009 #1
    Find the function that has the following Taylor series representation:

[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_________{m=0}[/tex][tex]\frac{(m+s)^{-1}x^{m}}{m!}[/tex]

Where s is a constant such that 0<Re(s)<1.

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you have any reason to believe it is an elementary function?

4. Jul 14, 2009 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well the first thing to do would be to consider what a Taylor series itself looks like of a function f, assuming it has one;

[tex]f(x) = \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} f^m (0) \frac{x^m}{m!} [/tex] where f^m indicates the m-th derivative, not exponent.

So if we use the theorem that two power series are equal if and only iff their coefficients are identical, we get;

[tex]f^m (0) = \frac{1}{m+s} [/tex]

I have tried for a while at seeing what that tells us exactly, and my intution leads me to believe this derivatives look like something from an exponential function, so if I were you, I would now try letting [tex]f(x) = e^{g(x)}[/tex] and seeing what I can find out about g(x) .

EDIT: Whoops I didn't see Halls post.

5. Jul 14, 2009 #4
    FIRST ANSWER...
    We can get a differential equation for this function, call it [tex]f(x)[/tex]. That denominator [tex]m+s[/tex] looks scary , let's get rid of it. Multiply by [tex]x^s[/tex] so that we have [tex]\sum x^{m+s}/((m+s)m!)[/tex], differentiate to get rid of the [tex]m+s[/tex]. Then multiply by [tex]x^{1-s}[/tex] and we end up with the series [tex]\sum x^m/m![/tex] which can be recognized as [tex]e^x[/tex]. So the result is...
    [tex]sf \left( x \right) +x{\frac {d}{dx}}f \left( x \right) ={{\rm e}^{x}}[/tex]
    Is this helpful? The solution is not elementary, so maybe or maybe not.

6. Jul 14, 2009 #5
    SECOND ANSWER...
    This function is a hypergeometric function [tex]{{}_1\mathrm{F}_1(s;\,1+s;\,x)}[/tex], that's just the definition... Maple evaluates this in terms of the incomplete Gamma function, so we conclude it is:
    [tex]s \left( -x \right) ^{-s}\int _{0}^{-x}\!{{\rm e}^{-t}}{t}^{s-1}{dt}[/tex]
    at least for [tex]x < 0[/tex]

7. Jul 22, 2009 #6
    I think it is pretty clever to construct a differential equation like that. Well done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook