Find the general solution for the differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a specific differential equation by using the associated homogeneous equation and variation of parameters. The solution involves finding a general solution and integrating a specific equation. The poster is also reminded to follow the forum's guidelines for homework questions.
GoodEngineering
So in my previous math class I spotted on my book an exercise that I couldn't solve. We had to find the general solution for the differential equation. This was the exercise: 4y'' - 4y' + y = ex/2√(1-x2)
Can anyone tell me how to solve this step by step?

Physics news on Phys.org
The "associated homogeneous equation" is -4y'+ y= 0 so y'= -y/4. We can write that as dy/y= -dx/4. Integrating, ln|y|= -x/4+ C. Taking the exponential of both sides [tex]y= C' e^{-x/4}[/tex] where [tex]|C'|= e^C[/tex] and we can remove the absolute value by allowing C' to be either positive or negative.
To solve the entire equation use "variation of parameters": Look for a solution of the form [tex]y(x)= u(x)e^{-x/4}[/tex]. Then [tex]y'= u'e^{-x/4}- (u/4)e^{-x/4}= (u'- u/4)e^{-x/4}[/tex] so the equation becomes [tex](4u'- u)e^{-x/4}+ ue^{-x/4}= 4u'e^{-x/4}= e^{x/2}\sqrt{1- x^2}[/tex] so that [tex]u'= \frac{1}{4}e^{3x/4}(1- x^2)^{1/2}[/tex]. Can you integrate that?

Likes Delta2
GoodEngineering said:
We had to find the general solution for the differential equation. This was the exercise: 4y'' - 4y' + y = ex/2√(1-x2)

HallsofIvy said:
The "associated homogeneous equation" is -4y'+ y= 0
No. You apparently missed the second-order term 4y''.

GoodEngineering said:
Can anyone tell me how to solve this step by step?
That's not what we do here. Per our rules (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/, under Homework Guidelines), you must first make an attempt. Also, homework-type questions should be posted in one of the sections under Homework & Coursework.

Yes, I did miss that! Thanks.

1. What is a general solution for a differential equation?

A general solution for a differential equation is a formula or set of formulas that can be used to solve the equation for any given set of initial conditions. It contains all possible solutions to the equation, and may include arbitrary constants.

2. How do you find the general solution for a differential equation?

To find the general solution for a differential equation, you need to integrate both sides of the equation with respect to the variable of differentiation. This will result in an equation containing an arbitrary constant, which can be solved for using the given initial conditions.

3. What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution?

A general solution is a formula that can be used to solve the differential equation for any given set of initial conditions, while a particular solution is a specific solution obtained by substituting specific values for the arbitrary constants in the general solution.

4. Can a differential equation have more than one general solution?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple general solutions. This is because the general solution contains arbitrary constants, which can take on different values depending on the given initial conditions.

5. How do you know if a general solution is valid?

A general solution is valid if it satisfies the given differential equation and initial conditions. This can be checked by substituting the solution into the equation and verifying that it satisfies the equation for all values of the independent variable.