Find the length of a side of a cube

  • Thread starter Thread starter poohbear1986
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cube Length
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 5K views
poohbear1986
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
trying to figure this out, but am confused on the steps please help thank you

The volume of a cube is given by V = s3, where s is the length of a side. Find the length of a side of a cube if the volume is 800 cm3. Round the answer to three decimal places.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You already know the volume that you want (800cm^3). And you have an equation for the volume and the unknown(the unknown being s). Can you show me the equation you have for "s" in terms of "V" ?
 
i was no given one, i think my teacher is a moron
 
It looks like you were given one. You said in your opening post that the volume "V" is equal to 3 times "s," so you have V = 3s. Can you tell me what s equals in terms of "V"?
 
hotcommodity said:
It looks like you were given one. You said in your opening post that the volume "V" is equal to 3 times "s," so you have V = 3s. Can you tell me what s equals in terms of "V"?

It's the volume of a cube with side length s, I believe that s3 was meant to be s3.
 
d_leet said:
It's the volume of a cube with side length s, I believe that s3 was meant to be s3.

Ah, you're correct. My mistake.

Well, for poohbears sake, I'll give an example of what your teacher is looking for.

If I have[tex]y = x^{4}[/tex] , then I can put x in terms of y by multiplying both x and y to the [tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex] power:

[tex]y^{\frac{1}{4}} = x^{4*\frac{1}{4}}= x[/tex]

Now I have x in terms of y. Just multiply both sides of your equation by a similar power to get s in terms of the volume. Sorry for any confusion.
 
can you use numbers its easier to see what you mean

thanks
 
poohbear1986 said:
can you use numbers its easier to see what you mean

thanks

Sure, we can do that. If I say [tex]16 = x^{4}[/tex], then I want to multiply both sides of the equation by the one-fourth power:

[tex]16^{\frac{1}{4}} = x^{4*\frac{1}{4}}= x[/tex]

Then just plug 16 to the 1/4 power into your calculator to find that x = 2.
 
still not understanding both sides of my equation are gooing to have cubed numbers
 
You have [tex]V = s^{3}[/tex]. What power must you multiply both sides by to get s in terms of V? If you multiply[tex]s^{3}[/tex] by a certain power, you'll get s all by itself. Follow the reasoning in the example above.
 
so if i multiply both sides by 1/3 i should get what I'm looking for
 
poohbear1986 said:
so if i multiply both sides by 1/3 i should get what I'm looking for

Not by 1/3, but to the 1/3 power. Notice in the example above that we're multiplying both sides by a power. Here's one more to try:

If I have [tex]81 = x^{4}[/tex] , I want to multiply each side by the 1/4 power to find x:

[tex]81^{\frac{1}{4}} = x^{4*\frac{1}{4}} = x[/tex]

When you plug in 81 to the one-fourth power, that is 81^(1/4), you should find that x = 3.Try the examples above on your calculator so you're comforable with the concept.
 
thanks a lot i finally understand what I'm looking at, i appreciate the help