Find the Limit: Finf simple limit Find \lim_{x \rightarrow 1}

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter John O' Meara
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
John O' Meara
Messages
325
Reaction score
0
Find [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} \frac{\sin(\pi x)}{x-1}[/tex]. I have tried to find this limit by letting [tex]t= \pi x[/tex] t= x-1, etc. All I get is 1/0 or [tex]\pi/0[/tex] or etc., but not the answer the graph of the function suggests. I cannot find the substitution for x that will work. Is there some rule that I can use to find a suitable substitution for x or expression for t. I am doing this for my own interest. Can anyone point me along the correct line of reasoning that will allow me find the expression for t= ? . Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No, the book does not mention L'Hopital's rule until page 470, I am on page 135, so I don't think it means us to use that rule.
 
[tex]\frac{sin(\pi x)}{x-1} = \frac{sin(\pi(x-1) + \pi)}{x-1} = \frac{sin(\pi(x-1))cos\pi + sin(\pi)cos(\pi(x-1))}{x-1} = \frac{-sin(\pi(x-1))}{x-1}[/tex].

Let [tex]t = x - 1[/tex]. Then [tex]\frac{-sin(\pi(x-1))}{x-1} = \frac{-sin(\pi t)}{t} = \frac{-\pi sin(\pi t)}{\pi t}[/tex].

As x goes to 1, t = x - 1 goes to 0. You know the limit of sin(u)/u as u goes to 0 right? Now use that.