Find the limit of (2y - 180°)/cos y as y-> 90°. How to find the answer

• Thread starter charliemagne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit of (2y - 180°)/cos y as y approaches 90° is undefined because the denominator approaches 0. Direct substitution cannot be used to evaluate the limit due to an indeterminate form. The method for finding the limit is to rewrite the expression using trigonometric identities and apply a limit property. There is a restriction on the value of y for this limit, as it can only be evaluated from either side of y = 90°.
charliemagne
please give a hint on how to solve this.

the limit of (2y - 180 degrees)/(cos y) 'as y approaches 90 degrees.'

the answer here is -2.

I need a 'hint' for me to arrive at -2.

thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Try substituting u=y-90 degrees.

Dick said:
Try substituting u=y-90 degrees.

what "u"?

where should I substitute it?

thank you

Here, let y = u + 90 and substitute that in whenever you have a y in your equation.

jgens said:
Here, let y = u + 90 and substitute that in whenever you have a y in your equation.

thank you

but why should I let y be equal to u+90?

since y approaches 90 degrees, to evaluate the limit, what I have learned is to just substitute y= 90 degrees.

so how is that?

charliemagne said:

the answer here is -2.

thank you

Do you know how to differentiate functions? If so, you could use L'Hôpital's rule here.

charliemagne said:
thank you

but why should I let y be equal to u+90?

since y approaches 90 degrees, to evaluate the limit, what I have learned is to just substitute y= 90 degrees.

so how is that?

On a different note, if you substitute in [tex]y=u+90[/tex] and [tex]u=y-90[/tex], you get rid of dividing by 0. You'll have to find the "[tex]u[/tex] equivalent" of 90 because all of your variables will be with respect to [tex]u[/tex], so approaching the [tex]y[/tex] value just wouldn't make sense.

EDIT: It took me a while to figure out what Dick and Jgens meant with the substitutions. I've forgotten how to take weird limits like this without using l'Hopital's rule, lol.

The point of the substitution is to turn part of the limit into something you know. Like sin(u)/u. cos(u+90 degrees) is -sin(u), isn't it?

charliemagne said:

the answer here is -2.

thank you

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't really get it. Are you sure it's not:

[tex]\lim_{y \rightarrow \frac{\pi}{2}} \left( \frac{2y - \pi}{\cos y} \right)[/tex]?

The well-known limit:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1[/tex] is only true when x is in radians. And this is one of the reasons, that we use radians to do calculus work.

VietDao29 said:
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't really get it. Are you sure it's not:

[tex]\lim_{y \rightarrow \frac{\pi}{2}} \left( \frac{2y - \pi}{\cos y} \right)[/tex]?

The well-known limit:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1[/tex] is only true when x is in radians. And this is one of the reasons, that we use radians to do calculus work.

Now that's not true. lim x->0 of sin(kx)/(kx)=1. That means lim sin(x)/x=1 is true in any units. The reason for working in radians is so that d/dx(sin(x))=cos(x). And not cos(x) times some funny unit thing.

Dick said:
Now that's not true. lim x->0 of sin(kx)/(kx)=1. That means lim sin(x)/x=1 is true in any units. The reason for working in radians is so that d/dx(sin(x))=cos(x). And not cos(x) times some funny unit thing.

No, this is not true.

You can just try to plug some x near 0, in Degree Mode, and you can see the different.

In fact, the reason for d/dx(sin(x)) (x in degrees) does not equal cos(x) is because of this limit. This limit is different when x is in different modes.

Since we have:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1[/tex] where x is in radians.

So, to find the limit:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x}[/tex], where x is in degrees, we have to change it back to radians. The difference when changing from degrees to radians only lies in the numerator, since [tex]\sin(x_0 \mbox{ [in Rad]} ) \neq \sin(x_0 \mbox{ [in Deg]})[/tex]

So:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin \frac{\pi}{180} x}{x}[/tex]
[tex]= \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin \frac{\pi}{180} x}{\frac{\pi}{180}x} \times \frac{\pi}{180} = \frac{\pi}{180}[/tex].

VietDao29 said:
No, this is not true.

You can just try to plug some x near 0, in Degree Mode, and you can see the different.

In fact, the reason for d/dx(sin(x)) (x in degrees) does not equal cos(x) is because of this limit. This limit is different when x is in different modes.

Since we have:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1[/tex] where x is in radians.

So, to find the limit:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x}[/tex], where x is in degrees, we have to change it back to radians. The difference when changing from degrees to radians only lies in the numerator, since [tex]\sin(x_0 \mbox{ [in Rad]} ) \neq \sin(x_0 \mbox{ [in Deg]})[/tex]

So:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin \frac{\pi}{180} x}{x}[/tex]
[tex]= \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin \frac{\pi}{180} x}{\frac{\pi}{180}x} \times \frac{\pi}{180} = \frac{\pi}{180}[/tex].

You are absolutely right. Sorry, you only convert the numerator sin(x) to radians, not the denominator.

What is the limit of (2y - 180°)/cos y as y approaches 90°?

The limit of (2y - 180°)/cos y as y approaches 90° is undefined.

Why is the limit undefined for (2y - 180°)/cos y as y-> 90°?

The limit is undefined because as y approaches 90°, the denominator cos y approaches 0, causing the overall fraction to approach infinity.

Can the limit be evaluated using direct substitution?

No, direct substitution cannot be used to evaluate the limit because it leads to an indeterminate form (0/0).

What is the method for finding the limit of (2y - 180°)/cos y as y-> 90°?

The method for finding the limit is to use trigonometric identities to rewrite the expression in a form that can be evaluated. In this case, we can use the identity cos y = sin(90° - y) to rewrite the expression as (2y - 180°)/sin(90° - y). Then, we can apply a limit property to evaluate the limit.

Are there any restrictions on the value of y for this limit?

Yes, there is a restriction on the value of y for this limit. Since the original expression involves division by cos y, which is undefined at y = 90°, the limit can only be evaluated as y approaches 90° from either side (i.e. y < 90° and y > 90°).