1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the limit of (2y - 180°)/cos y as y-> 90°. How to find the answer

1. Aug 1, 2009 #1
    please give a hint on how to solve this.

the limit of (2y - 180 degrees)/(cos y) 'as y approaches 90 degrees.'

the answer here is -2.

I need a 'hint' for me to arrive at -2.

thank you

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: limits

Try substituting u=y-90 degrees.

4. Aug 1, 2009 #3

what "u"?

where should I substitute it?

thank you

5. Aug 1, 2009 #4

jgens

Gold Member

Here, let y = u + 90 and substitute that in whenever you have a y in your equation.

6. Aug 1, 2009 #5

thank you

but why should I let y be equal to u+90?

since y approaches 90 degrees, to evaluate the limit, what I have learned is to just substitute y= 90 degrees.

so how is that?

7. Aug 1, 2009 #6

Do you know how to differentiate functions? If so, you could use L'Hôpital's rule here.

8. Aug 1, 2009 #7

On a different note, if you substitute in [tex]y=u+90[/tex] and [tex]u=y-90[/tex], you get rid of dividing by 0. You'll have to find the "[tex]u[/tex] equivalent" of 90 because all of your variables will be with respect to [tex]u[/tex], so approaching the [tex]y[/tex] value just wouldn't make sense.

EDIT: It took me a while to figure out what Dick and Jgens meant with the substitutions. I've forgotten how to take weird limits like this without using l'Hopital's rule, lol.

9. Aug 1, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The point of the substitution is to turn part of the limit into something you know. Like sin(u)/u. cos(u+90 degrees) is -sin(u), isn't it?

10. Aug 2, 2009 #9

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't really get it. Are you sure it's not:

[tex]\lim_{y \rightarrow \frac{\pi}{2}} \left( \frac{2y - \pi}{\cos y} \right)[/tex]?

The well-known limit:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1[/tex] is only true when x is in radians. And this is one of the reasons, that we use radians to do calculus work.

11. Aug 2, 2009 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now that's not true. lim x->0 of sin(kx)/(kx)=1. That means lim sin(x)/x=1 is true in any units. The reason for working in radians is so that d/dx(sin(x))=cos(x). And not cos(x) times some funny unit thing.

12. Aug 3, 2009 #11

VietDao29

Homework Helper

No, this is not true.

You can just try to plug some x near 0, in Degree Mode, and you can see the different.

In fact, the reason for d/dx(sin(x)) (x in degrees) does not equal cos(x) is because of this limit. This limit is different when x is in different modes.

Since we have:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1[/tex] where x is in radians.

So, to find the limit:
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x}[/tex], where x is in degrees, we have to change it back to radians. The difference when changing from degrees to radians only lies in the numerator, since [tex]\sin(x_0 \mbox{ [in Rad]} ) \neq \sin(x_0 \mbox{ [in Deg]})[/tex]

So:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin \frac{\pi}{180} x}{x}[/tex]
    [tex]= \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin \frac{\pi}{180} x}{\frac{\pi}{180}x} \times \frac{\pi}{180} = \frac{\pi}{180}[/tex].

13. Aug 3, 2009 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are absolutely right. Sorry, you only convert the numerator sin(x) to radians, not the denominator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook