Simultaneous Trigonometric Equations - solving for angles

In summary, you are trying to solve a system of three equations in order to get the angles between corresponding spatial coordinates. You are trying to simplify the equations by using trig identities and vector operations.
m101
Summary:: I have a series of three equations that transform three angles of a system (J1, J2, J3), into three spatial x, y, z coordinates. I want to invert them to find the angles from the coordinates.

Reference: https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/general-math.73/post-thread

I have a series of three equations that transform three angles of a system (J1, J2, J3), into three spatial x, y, z coordinates as follows:

x = A + B cos(J3) + C sin(J2) cos (J1)

y = A + B cos(J3) + C sin (J2) sin (J1)

z = C (cos(J2) - 1) - B sin (J3)

Here A, B and C are numerical constants that I know the value of. What I want is to be able to invert the problem, namely find expressions to calculate the values of J1 to J3 given a set of coordinates (with the angles within the range -180 to 180, where a solution exists). I am struggling a bit with this. Is this possible and if so how can I go about it. Thank you in advance for any help or hints.

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you try so far? Do you have the trig function values as a quotient of lengths?

So far I have tried to rearrange the equations and use trig identities to simplify them.

And ...? Let us see what you have done. You could e.g. subtract the first two equations and get
$$
\dfrac{x-y}{c}=\sin(J2)\cdot (\cos(J1)-\sin(J1))
$$

At first sight, I would assume that it is not uniquely solvable. My attempt would be to use the exponential complex function to replace the trig functions, but that's just an idea and I don't know whether you know the formulas.

In vector form, you have
$$\begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{pmatrix} =
\begin{pmatrix} A \\ A \\ -C \end{pmatrix} +
B\begin{pmatrix} \cos j_3 \\ \cos j_3 \\ -\sin j_3 \end{pmatrix} +
C\begin{pmatrix} \sin j_2 \cos j_1 \\ \sin j_2 \sin j_1 \\ \cos j_2 \end{pmatrix}$$ From the last term, ##j_1## and ##j_2## seem to be the azimuthal and polar angles in spherical coordinates. Looking at the problem in terms of vectors might help you find a solution.

1. What are simultaneous trigonometric equations?

Simultaneous trigonometric equations are a set of two or more equations that involve trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, and are solved simultaneously to find the values of the unknown angles.

2. How do you solve simultaneous trigonometric equations?

To solve simultaneous trigonometric equations, you can use techniques such as substitution or elimination, similar to solving systems of linear equations. You can also use the trigonometric identities and properties to simplify the equations and find the solutions.

3. Can simultaneous trigonometric equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, simultaneous trigonometric equations can have multiple solutions. This is because trigonometric functions are periodic, meaning they repeat their values after a certain interval. Therefore, there can be multiple angles that satisfy the given equations.

4. What is the importance of solving simultaneous trigonometric equations?

Solving simultaneous trigonometric equations is important in various fields, including mathematics, physics, and engineering. It allows us to find the values of unknown angles in a system of equations, which can be applied to solve real-world problems involving angles and distances.

5. Are there any special cases when solving simultaneous trigonometric equations?

Yes, there are special cases when solving simultaneous trigonometric equations, such as when the equations involve inverse trigonometric functions or when the equations are not independent. In these cases, special techniques may be required to find the solutions.