Find the limit, of severable variables

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of x^3 + xy^2/(x^2 + y^2) as (x,y) approaches (0,0). The attempt at a solution involves trying different values for x and y, but the limit is ultimately found to be zero. The conversation also mentions resources for finding practice problems similar to this one.
th3plan

Homework Statement

limit as (x,y)---->(0,0)
x^3 +xy^2/(x^2 + y^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried letting x = 0, and get zero, and i also let , y= 0 and got 0, and then i let y=x , and got , zero, how can i be sure sure this limit is zero? What do i do ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
th3plan said:
limit as (x,y)---->(0,0)
x^3 +xy^2/(x^2 + y^2)

Hi th3plan! :smile:

You have noticed that this is x(x^2 +y^2)/(x^2 + y^2) ?

ohh duhh, as always not being observent. Good catch, do you any sites that have practice problems similar to this ?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of a limit of several variables?

The limit of several variables refers to the value that a function or expression approaches as the independent variables approach certain values. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to describe the behavior of a function at a particular point.

2. How do you find the limit of several variables?

To find the limit of several variables, you must first identify which variables are independent and which are dependent. Then, you can use various techniques such as substitution, factoring, and algebraic manipulation to simplify the expression and evaluate the limit. In some cases, you may need to use advanced techniques like L'Hôpital's rule or Taylor series to find the limit.

3. What are the conditions for a limit of several variables to exist?

The limit of several variables exists if the function is defined and continuous at the point where the limit is being evaluated. Additionally, the limit must be the same for all possible paths of approaching the point, and the limit must be finite.

4. Can the limit of several variables be undefined?

Yes, in some cases, the limit of several variables may be undefined. This can happen if the function has a vertical asymptote or a removable discontinuity at the point where the limit is being evaluated. It can also occur if the limit approaches different values from different directions.

5. How is finding the limit of several variables useful in real-world applications?

Finding the limit of several variables is essential for solving optimization problems in economics, physics, engineering, and other fields. It is also used in analyzing the behavior of complex systems and making predictions based on data. For example, the limit of a function can be used to determine the maximum profit or minimum cost in a business model or to describe the trajectory of a projectile in physics.