1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the limit of the sequence n^3/(2n^3 + n)

1. Sep 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the limit for the following sequence and then use the definition of limit to justify your result.

2. Relevant equations
    n^3/(2*n^3 + n)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the limit as n --> infinity is 1/2. I think the next step is to set up the equation as follows:

n^3/(2*n^3 + n) = 1/2

But then I'm not sure if I should add n+1 to each side.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Limits

Don't do any such thing. Look at the definition of a limit. Divide numerator and denominator of your expression by n^3. So you have 1/(2+1/n^2). Now you want to find an N for every epsilon such that n>N implies |1/(2+1/n^2)-1/2|<epsilon for any epsilon however small. Isn't that what the definition of limit said? Can you do that?

4. Sep 15, 2008 #3

okay, I came up with 1/(2+1/n^2) which is where I came up the idea that the limit as n---->infinity is 1/2. But then if I set it to be < epsilon. How do you know what epsilon should be? I am really struggling with this concept. I appreciate your help and patience.

5. Sep 16, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think of epsilon as a really small positive number. You want to find an N so large that 1/2-1/(2+1/n^2)<epsilon for n>N. If you do the algebra that's 1/(4N^2+2)<epsilon. Since 1/(4N^2+2)<1/(4N^2) if 1/(4N^2)<epsilon then you have a good N. I would pick an N bigger than 1/(2*sqrt(epsilon)). Do you see why? If you can find an N for every epsilon then the limit is valid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?