Find the magnetic field at the center of a rectangle

In summary, the magnetic field at the center of a rectangular loop of wire with sides a and b carrying current I is given by B = uI/2piR, where R is the magnitude of the vector from the center to the line element. The cross product will simplify to dLsin(θ), where θ is the angle between dL and \widehat{r}. To find B, integration over the length of each wire section is required, which can be simplified due to symmetry.
vande060

Homework Statement

find |B| at the center
of a rectangular loop of wire of sides a and b carrying current I

Homework Equations

B = uI/2piR

The Attempt at a Solution

phyprobbox.jpg

- current flowing counterclockwise

- original art work :D

I did the proof for biot savart law as a homework problem, and I got B = uI/2piR for straight wire, but the proof I used was based of positive and negative infinity for bounds of the integral. I was wondering however, if the same formula (B = uI/2piR ) could be used to tackle the above problem like this

B = 2(uI/2pi(b/2)) + 2(uI/2pi(a/2))

of course I can do simplification on my own, but I am curious if this is the correct route?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a straight current carrying length of wire, the differential element for the magnetic field at a point is given by

[tex] dB = \frac{\mu_o I \vec{dL} \times \hat{r}}{4 \pi R^2} [/tex]

where dL is the differential line element of the wire and [tex]\widehat{r}[/tex] is a unit vector in the direction of r, the vector from the point of interest to the line element. R is the magnitude of r.

The cross product will simplify to dLsin(θ), where θ is the angle between dL and [tex]\widehat{r}[/tex].

To find B you should integrate over the length of each wire section. Symmetry will allow you to boil this down to a couple of integrals, and if you look carefully, both of them have the same form with just a slight change of which constants are plugged where.

gneill said:
For a straight current carrying length of wire, the differential element for the magnetic field at a point is given by

[tex] dB = \frac{\mu_o I \vec{dL} \times \hat{r}}{4 \pi R^2} [/tex]

where dL is the differential line element of the wire and [tex]\widehat{r}[/tex] is a unit vector in the direction of r, the vector from the point of interest to the line element. R is the magnitude of r.

The cross product will simplify to dLsin(θ), where θ is the angle between dL and [tex]\widehat{r}[/tex].

To find B you should integrate over the length of each wire section. Symmetry will allow you to boil this down to a couple of integrals, and if you look carefully, both of them have the same form with just a slight change of which constants are plugged where.

Ive got in now thanks

What is the formula for finding the magnetic field at the center of a rectangle?

The formula for finding the magnetic field at the center of a rectangle is B = μ0I/2πL, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the rectangle, and L is the length of the rectangle.

How is the direction of the magnetic field determined at the center of a rectangle?

The direction of the magnetic field at the center of a rectangle is determined by the right-hand rule. If the current is flowing counterclockwise, the magnetic field will point upwards out of the page. If the current is flowing clockwise, the magnetic field will point downwards into the page.

What is the significance of finding the magnetic field at the center of a rectangle?

Finding the magnetic field at the center of a rectangle is important in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields and their effects on objects. It can also be used to calculate the force exerted on a charged particle moving through the magnetic field.

How does the shape and size of the rectangle affect the magnetic field at its center?

The shape and size of the rectangle do not affect the magnetic field at its center as long as the current is constant. However, if the current varies along the length of the rectangle, the magnetic field at the center will also vary.

What are some real-world applications of finding the magnetic field at the center of a rectangle?

Finding the magnetic field at the center of a rectangle is used in many real-world applications such as electromagnets, motors, and generators. It is also important in understanding the Earth's magnetic field and the behavior of magnetic materials.