1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biot-Savart's Law for cylindrical conductor

1. Apr 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The figure shows a cross section across a diameter of a long cylindrical conductor of radius a = 2.92 cm carrying uniform current 151 A. What is the magnitude of the current's magnetic field at the center of the conductor?
    HW9Q8.png

2. Relevant equations
    Biot-Savart's Law

3. The attempt at a solution
    B for circular loop = ui/2r
    B = ui/2a
    B = 0.0032 T
    Which is the wrong answer, what happened?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This formula is for the magnetic field at the center of a circular loop of current. But in your problem the current is not flowing in a circular loop. It is flowing in a long, straight, cylindrical conductor.

4. Apr 30, 2016 #3
    Is this still do-able with the Biot Savart law?

5. Apr 30, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you can easily find B at the central axis by using the Biot-Savart law and symmetry.

However, if you want to find B for an arbitrary value of r in the picture, then it would be easier to use another law.

6. Apr 30, 2016 #5
    In this case, I think the current is flowing through the center. Then that means there is no field at the center right?

7. Apr 30, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not understanding this argument. Can you elaborate? The current is flowing at all points of the cylinder, not just along the central axis.

8. Apr 30, 2016 #7
    My bad, then can you show me how to do this problem? We have only learned so far the law for wires.

9. Apr 30, 2016 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem only asks for the B field at the center axis of the cylinder. For this, you can just use symmetry arguments. Think of the total current distribution as made up of a lot of long, parallel, straight filaments of current. Each filament is like a thin, straight wire carrying current. Use what you know about the direction of the B field due to a long, straight wire.

10. Apr 30, 2016 #9
    For parallel wires carrying the same current, there will be no net magnetic field at a point between them. So can I generalize this to the situation here?

11. Apr 30, 2016 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Good.

12. Apr 30, 2016 #11
    Now the problem asks for the field at radial distance 1 cm. How can I use symmetry for this?

13. Apr 30, 2016 #12

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Now you need to do some math! The law of choice would be Ampere's law, not the Biot-Savart law. Symmetry will still be important.

14. Apr 30, 2016 #13
    Edit: I will come back to this

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  15. Apr 30, 2016 #14
    Just watched a quickie on Ampere's Law. So I'm getting this:
    ui = ∫B⋅dl
    ui = B∫dl from 0 to 2πr
    ui/2πr = B = 0.0030 T

Edit: I'm missing a current ratio?

16. Apr 30, 2016 #15
    Current per Area = 151 / (.0292^2 * pi) = 5.637 x 10^4 A/m^2
    Current for Area of 1 cm radius = 5.637 x 10^4 A/m^2 * pi(.01^2)
    = 3.141592653589794e-04

Use this for ampere's law gets:
    3.5420e-04 T

17. Apr 30, 2016 #16

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good.

18. Apr 30, 2016 #17
    Now at, the wire's surface, It encloses the total current, at the radius of the wire. From the Ampere's Law, I get 0.0010T which is the wrong answer?

19. Apr 30, 2016 #18

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think that's the right answer. (Unless you need to get the number of significant figures correct also.)

20. Apr 30, 2016 #19
    I was marked wrong, I'll get back after asking the professor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted