1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the magnetic field at the point

Tags:
  1. Mar 27, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A long, straight wire lies along the z−axis and carries a 4.20 −A current in the +z−direction. Find the magnetic field (magnitude and direction) produced at the following points by a 0.400 −mm segment of the wire centered at the origin.

2. Relevant equations

## \vec B ## = 2 ## \frac {μ_0} {4π} ## ## \int_0^.0004 ## ## \frac {I*d\vec s \times \hat r} {r^2}##

x = 2 meters, y = 2meters, z=0

## d\vec s \times \hat r ## = ds*sin(Θ)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I took the original equation, which is from the Biot-Savart Law, and simplified the cross product using the algebraic definition above, such that the problem simplifies into:

## \vec B ## = 2 ## \frac {μ_0 I} {4π} ## ## \int_0^.0004 ## ## \frac {ds*sin(Θ)} {r^2}##

Where the angle is that between the z-axis and the hypotenuse, such that sin(Θ) can be described as:
    sin(Θ) = ##\frac {\sqrt (x^2+y^2)} {r}##

which gives

## \vec B ## = 2 ## \frac {μ_0 I \sqrt(8)} {4π} ## ## \int_0^.0004 ## ## \frac {ds} {\sqrt(s^2 +2^2 +2^2)^3}##

Which, when I solve gives me the answer for the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field of
    ##8.4*10^{-15} T## which doesn't seem right at all, since previous answers to some other parts of this problem were in around ^-11. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It says centered at the origin, so I think your integration range is wrong.

The wire length is so small compared to √8 m that I don't think you need to integrate at all. Just treat the whole segment as being at the origin.

4. Mar 28, 2017 #3
    Since it it centered at the origin, the integration would be ##\int_-.0002^.0002 ## which I believed could be changed to 2 ##\int_0^.0004## Though that is wrong because the function is odd, not even.

Also, since the wire length is so small compared to ##\sqrt 8##, would it be possible to solve this using Ampere's Law to find the magnitude?

5. Mar 28, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, it is even.
    Just drop the s2 in the denominator, making it constant over the range. Assuming everything else is right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted