1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the mass of the surface of a triangel in 3d space

1. Mar 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the mass of the surface of the triangle with vertice (2,0,0), (0,2,0), (0,0,1) if the density is 4xz

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know I just need to take the integral of 4xy in the region of the triangle, but how do i set up the integral for the triangle? I am not used to triangles in 3d space, do I need to make a transformation or is there some easier way. I'm not really sure where to start on this one, but once i get the integral set up I supposed its easy.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Write the equation of the plane containing those points. Then use that to figure out your dS element of surface area.

4. Mar 29, 2012 #3
    ok I got the plane: x+y+2z=2 or z = 1 - x/2 - y/2 and d/dx and d/dy both equal -1/2
    So I should take the triple integral of sqrt(1+2(1/2)**2) with the limits
    0<z<1
    0<x<2-2z
    0<y<2-2z
    but this does not give me the value for area I got by double checking using the magnitude of the cross product of 2 of the lines, divided by 2, which was sqrt(6). I'm assuming I messeed up the limits but I cant quite see how at the moment.

5. Mar 29, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't evaluate a surface integral as a triple integral. It is always a double integral. Since you have decided to solve for z as a function of x and y, you must express everything, including the area density in terms of x and y and integrate over the appropriate region in the xy plane.

6. Mar 29, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would set up a new coordinate system in the plane determined by those three points.

For example, a vector from the point (2, 0, 0) to (0, 2, 0) is <2, -2, 0> so the line from (2, 0, 0) to (0, 2, 0) can be written as x= 2- 2u, y= 2u, z= 0 and we can take u to be one of the parameters for this new coordianate system. We also get that 2x- 2y= C for any plane perpendicular to that line and, in particular, 2x- 2y= 0 is a plane perpendicular to that line containing the point (0, 0, 1). The line x= 2- 2u, y= 2u, z= 0 intersects that plane where 2(2- 2u)- 2(2u)= 4- 8u= 0 or u= 1/2. That is the point (1, 1, 0) and so the line through (1, 1, 0) and (0, 0, 1) is a line in that plane perpendicular to the line. A vector from (1, 1, 0) to (0, 0, 1) is <1, 1, -1> and so the line is given by x= v+ 1, y= v+ 1, z= -v and we can take v as the other parameter.

That is, the line from (2, 0, 0) to (0, 2, 0) is the u-axis, v= 0, with u going from 0 to 1. The point (2, 0, 0) is given in uv coordines as (0, 0, (0, 2, 0) by (1, 0), and (0, 0, 1) by (1/2, 1). Integrate the density function (changed to u,v coordinates, of course) over the triangle with those coordinates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook