Finding volume/mass of 3D Solid

• Thread starter dinospamoni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Solid
The answers I got now were 9.35 and 11666.7 for the volume and mass, respectively.In summary, the volume and mass of the object above a square in the (x, y) plane with specific corners and two additional planes can be calculated using the equations V=∫∫∫dzdxdy and m=∫∫∫880y dzdxdy, with the given limits of integration. The correct answers are 9.35 for the volume and 11666.7 for the mass.
dinospamoni

Homework Statement

The volume shown lies above a square in the (x, y) plane having corners (4, 1), (5, 1), (5, 2), and (4, 2). The remaining two surfaces are planes defined by z1 = 2x + 4y + 7 and z2 = 3x + 6y + 8. The density of this object is 880.y. Determine a) the volume of this object, and b) the mass of this object.

A picture is attached

Homework Equations

I can't use the coding on here, so bear with me:

Volume of a 3D object is given by V=∫∫∫dxdydz

Mass of a 3D object is: m=∫∫∫ρdxdydx
where ρ is the density

The Attempt at a Solution

My setup for the volume is:

∫∫∫dzdxdy
Limits of integration:
2x+4y+7 < z < 3x + 6y + 8.
4<x<5
1<y<2

And for mass:

∫∫∫800y dzdxdy

with the same limits of integration

I've gotten 8.5 and 10333.3 for the volume and mass, respectively, but those are wrong.

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

Attachments

• prob09-06.gif
    prob09-06.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 496
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks correct to me. I get the same answers as you.

AH I see what I did wrong. When I calculated the mass I used density = 800y instead of 880y

What is the formula for finding the volume of a 3D solid?

The formula for finding the volume of a 3D solid depends on the shape of the solid. For example, the formula for finding the volume of a cube is length x width x height, while the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder is π x radius^2 x height. It is important to identify the shape of the solid before using the appropriate formula.

What is the difference between volume and mass?

Volume is a measurement of the amount of space occupied by a solid, liquid, or gas. It is typically measured in cubic units, such as cubic meters or cubic centimeters. Mass, on the other hand, is a measurement of the amount of matter in an object and is typically measured in grams or kilograms. While volume and mass are related, they are not the same measurement.

How do you measure the volume of an irregularly shaped solid?

To measure the volume of an irregularly shaped solid, you can use the displacement method. This involves placing the solid in a container with a known volume of water and measuring the change in water level. The change in water level is equal to the volume of the solid. Alternatively, you can also use a graduated cylinder to measure the volume of water displaced by the solid.

What are some tools used to measure volume and mass?

Some common tools used to measure volume include rulers, meter sticks, and graduated cylinders. To measure mass, you can use a balance or scale. Digital scales are commonly used for precise measurements, while triple beam balances are often used in educational settings.

Why is it important to accurately measure volume and mass?

Accurately measuring volume and mass is important in many fields of science, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. These measurements allow scientists to make accurate calculations and predictions about the behavior and properties of different materials. In industries such as manufacturing and construction, precise measurements of volume and mass are crucial for creating products that function properly and meet safety standards.