Find the natural frequency of a spring

In summary: You will need to use the other boundary condition.In summary, the conversation discusses how to derive an expression for natural frequency in a spring-mass system with a dynamic load applied. The spring is made of music wire and has a mass, which affects the tension and must be taken into consideration. The external force applied does not directly affect the natural frequency, but it must be solved for in order to determine the spring constant, k. The conversation also touches on solving the differential equation and applying boundary conditions to obtain the solution for F(x,t).
physicist10

Homework Statement

2r3l0rm.jpg

Consider the spring-mass system shown. A dynamic load, P(t), is applied with a frequency of 300 rpm. The helical compression spring is made of a music wire. When installed, the spring force is to vary between 100 and 500 N while the spring height varies over a range of 10 mm. The object attached to its end has a mass of 1.7 kg.

Derive an expression for natural frequency.

Homework Equations

None. There might be some unnecessary information in the question, I'm not sure. This is an example from my machine design course.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a spring's natural frequency is 1/2∏ √(k/m). But I don't know this applies to this question.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
physicist10 said:
I know that a spring's natural frequency is 1/2∏ √(k/m). But I don't know this applies to this question.
That's right. But the question is not so easy, because they are not giving you k directly. But they have told you how the force varies, as the compression of the spring varies. So make use of what they are telling you. What equations do you know that are related to the force and compression of a spring?

BruceW said:
That's right. But the question is not so easy, because they are not giving you k directly. But they have told you how the force varies, as the compression of the spring varies. So make use of what they are telling you. What equations do you know that are related to the force and compression of a spring?

Well, first I have no idea what the force function is. Is it sinusoidal? And formulas:

F = kx
k = Gd^4 / 8D^3n

What is the mass? Is it the mass of the spring + mass of the brick?

And if I understood correctly, the external force applied has no effect on the natural frequency. Right?

EDIT: Oh, also this was given as well. But I have no idea at all how to use it.

245exjb.jpg

physicist10 said:
245exjb.jpg
That puts a very different slant on the problem. You cannot deduce k directly from the extension and tension data given. The spring has mass, so a wave arises within the spring. The applied load frequency interacts with this to affect the tension.
You will need to obtain solutions to the differential equation. You understand separation of variables?

haruspex said:
That puts a very different slant on the problem. You cannot deduce k directly from the extension and tension data given. The spring has mass, so a wave arises within the spring. The applied load frequency interacts with this to affect the tension.
You will need to obtain solutions to the differential equation. You understand separation of variables?

Actually not quite. Are we trying to obtain F(x,t)?

And what about my other questions:

And if I understood correctly, the external force applied has no effect on the natural frequency. Right?

Thanks for any help!

physicist10 said:
Are we trying to obtain F(x,t)?
Yes.
Your problem statement only mentions the mass of the block, M, but the 'hint' says the spring also has mass, m.
And if I understood correctly, the external force applied has no effect on the natural frequency.
That's true, but how are you going to calculate it? You are not told k, and you cannot deduce it directly from "the spring force is to vary between 100 and 500 N while the spring height varies over a range of 10 mm". That piece of information only relates to the forced mode of oscillation. So you need to solve the equations for this forced mode, use that information to determine k, and thus find the natural frequency.

haruspex said:
Yes.

Your problem statement only mentions the mass of the block, M, but the 'hint' says the spring also has mass, m.

That's true, but how are you going to calculate it? You are not told k, and you cannot deduce it directly from "the spring force is to vary between 100 and 500 N while the spring height varies over a range of 10 mm". That piece of information only relates to the forced mode of oscillation. So you need to solve the equations for this forced mode, use that information to determine k, and thus find the natural frequency.

Thanks. This helps a lot. These might be fundamental questions but I'll ask them anyway:

1) How do I obtain F(x,t)?
2) After I obtain F(x,t), how do I go to k from that? I thought F = kx but in this case F is a function.

In the 'governing' differential equation, make the substitution for u they suggest. Obtain a general solution and apply the boundary conditions. Can you see what the boundary conditions are?

haruspex said:
In the 'governing' differential equation, make the substitution for u they suggest. Obtain a general solution and apply the boundary conditions. Can you see what the boundary conditions are?
I make the substitution and apply the multiplication derivative rule?

I know that one boundary condition is u(0,t)=0. Are there more?

physicist10 said:
I make the substitution and apply the multiplication derivative rule?
Yes.
I know that one boundary condition is u(0,t)=0. Are there more?
You can derive an expression for F(L,t).

What is the natural frequency of a spring?

The natural frequency of a spring is the frequency at which it vibrates when it is not being influenced by any external forces. This frequency is determined by the properties of the spring, such as its mass and stiffness.

How do you calculate the natural frequency of a spring?

The natural frequency of a spring can be calculated using the formula f = 1/2π√(k/m), where f is the frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass attached to the spring. This formula assumes that the spring is ideal and has no damping.

What factors affect the natural frequency of a spring?

The natural frequency of a spring is affected by its mass, stiffness, and any external forces acting on it. A heavier mass will decrease the frequency, while a stiffer spring will increase the frequency. External forces, such as gravity or an external force applied to the spring, can also alter the natural frequency.

Why is it important to find the natural frequency of a spring?

Knowing the natural frequency of a spring is important in many applications, such as designing structures or machines that use springs. It allows engineers to ensure that the spring will not vibrate at a frequency that could cause damage or failure. Additionally, understanding the natural frequency can help in predicting the behavior of the spring in different situations.

How can the natural frequency of a spring be measured?

The natural frequency of a spring can be measured using various methods, such as using a frequency meter or oscilloscope to measure the vibrations of the spring. It can also be calculated using the formula mentioned above by measuring the mass and stiffness of the spring. Another method is to observe the vibration of the spring when it is excited with an external force, such as plucking or hitting it.