Find the parameterization of a curve

• Thread starter skrat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a parameterization of a curve resulting from the equations ##x^2+y^2+z^2=4## and ##x^2+y^2=2x##. One individual suggests a parameterization of ##x=1+\cos \vartheta## for ##\vartheta \in \left [ 0,2\pi \right ]## and ##y=\sin \vartheta##, with z as a function of ##\vartheta## equaling ##z=\sqrt{2(1-\cos \vartheta )}##. Another individual points out a small error and suggests using correct punctuation.
skrat

Homework Statement

Find a parameterization of a curve which we get from ##x^2+y^2+z^2=4## and ##x^2+y^2=2x##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I hope this doesn the job, I am just not sure, so if anybody could check my result I would be really happy.

I started with ##x=1+\cos \vartheta ## for ##\vartheta \in \left [ 0,2\pi \right ]## and ##y=\sin \vartheta ##

Than from ##x^2+y^2+z^2=4##, z as function of ##\vartheta ## is ##z=\sqrt{2(1-\cos \vartheta )}##

Or not?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yeah, looks good to me. nice work there. you've chosen the positive root for z. so that gives one of two possible curves. There is another curve, but since they say just to find a parameterization of a curve, I guess you don't need to write down both curves.

Thank you!

skrat said:

Homework Statement

Find a parameterization of a curve which we get from ##x^2+y^2+z^2=4## and ##x^2+y^2=2x##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I hope this doesn the job, I am just not sure, so if anybody could check my result I would be really happy.

I started with ##x=1+\cos \vartheta ## for ##\vartheta \in \left [ 0,2\pi \right ]## and ##y=\sin \vartheta ##

Than from ##x^2+y^2+z^2=4## z as function of ##\vartheta ## is ##z=\sqrt{2(1-\cos \vartheta )}##

Or not?

Please use correct punctuation: I first read your statement ##x^2+y^2+z^2=4## z as ##``x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4z ''## (which is exactly how it is typeset) but it should be ##x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4##, z ... .

Ray Vickson said:
Please use correct punctuation: I first read your statement ##x^2+y^2+z^2=4## z as ##``x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4z ''## (which is exactly how it is typeset) but it should be ##x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4##, z ... .

Thanks, I've edited the first post!

1. What is a parameterization of a curve?

A parameterization of a curve is a way to represent the points on a curve using one or more variables. This allows us to describe the curve as a function, making it easier to analyze and manipulate mathematically.

2. How do you find the parameterization of a curve?

To find the parameterization of a curve, we need to express the x and y coordinates of the curve in terms of a parameter, such as t. This can be done by solving for t in terms of x and y, or by using trigonometric functions for more complex curves.

3. Why is finding the parameterization of a curve useful?

Having a parameterization of a curve makes it easier to calculate important properties such as arc length, curvature, and tangent vectors. It also allows us to easily graph and manipulate the curve using mathematical techniques.

4. Can a curve have multiple parameterizations?

Yes, a curve can have multiple parameterizations. In fact, there are infinitely many ways to parameterize a curve. It ultimately depends on the desired form and purpose of the parameterization.

5. What are some common parameterizations used for curves?

Some common parameterizations used for curves include polynomial functions, trigonometric functions, and parametric equations. The specific parameterization chosen depends on the shape and complexity of the curve being represented.