1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the parameterization of a curve

1. Jan 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a parameterization of a curve which we get from ##x^2+y^2+z^2=4## and ##x^2+y^2=2x##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I hope this doesn the job, I am just not sure, so if anybody could check my result I would be really happy.

I started with ##x=1+\cos \vartheta ## for ##\vartheta \in \left [ 0,2\pi \right ]## and ##y=\sin \vartheta ##

Than from ##x^2+y^2+z^2=4##, z as function of ##\vartheta ## is ##z=\sqrt{2(1-\cos \vartheta )}##

Or not?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2014 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

yeah, looks good to me. nice work there. you've chosen the positive root for z. so that gives one of two possible curves. There is another curve, but since they say just to find a parameterization of a curve, I guess you don't need to write down both curves.

4. Jan 4, 2014 #3
    Thank you!

5. Jan 4, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please use correct punctuation: I first read your statement ##x^2+y^2+z^2=4## z as ##``x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4z ''## (which is exactly how it is typeset) but it should be ##x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4##, z ... .

6. Jan 4, 2014 #5
    Thanks, I've edited the first post!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted