Find the parameters of a curve (differential geometry)

In summary, the homework statement is that C(t) is an epitrocoid and R, r, and d are found according to k.
Dassinia
Hi,
1. Homework Statement

C : ℝ→ℝ3 given by
C(t)= ( 1/2 [ (1+k)/(1-k) cos((1-k)t) - (1-k)/(1+k) cos((1+k)t) ] ; 1/2 [ (1+k)/(1-k) sin((1-k)t) - (1-k)/(1+k) sin((1+k)t) ] )
with 0<|k|<1

Show that C(t) is an epitrocoid and find R, r and d according to k

Homework Equations

Parametrization of an epitrocoid
α(θ)=( (R+r)*cos(θ) - d*cos(θ(R+r)/r) ; (R+r)*sin(θ) - d*sin(θ(R+r)/r) )

The Attempt at a Solution

By identification -1/2(1-k)/(1+k)=d and R+r=1/2(1+k)/(1-k)
and we have that (1-k)t=θ ⇒ t=θ/(1-k) so (1+k)t=θ(1+k)/(1-k) ⇒ (R+r)/r=(1+k)/(1-k)
I don't know if this is correct and if it is when I use
R+r=1/2(1+k)/(1-k) and (R+r)/r=(1+k)/(1-k) I get r=2 :oldconfused:

Physics news on Phys.org
The range of C is ##\mathbb{R}^2##, not ##\mathbb{R}^3##.

Are you sure your 'by identification' is valid? IIRC you can only do that identification if the functions are orthogonal and it is not clear that ##\cos\theta## and ##\cos\frac{\theta(R+r)}{r}## are orthogonal. My Fourier analysis is a little rusty so others may wish to correct me on that if it's wrong.

In any case, if the identification is OK, you have the wrong sign in your expression for d in terms of k: you've missed the fact that d has a negative sign in both formulas. Fix that up, and see if it then works.

If it doesn't then you might need to drop the 'by identification' and instead set up some simultaneous equations by taking particular combinations of x and y.

For the value of d I actually took d=1/2(1-k)/(1+k) I just made a mistake in my first message ! If it can't be done by identification I don"t see another way to do that :cry:

Actually, I take back my reservations about using identification. Since it's a search for a possible solution, and not a proof, identification is fine as long as it leads to a result that works. It's like trying a trial solution in a DE. If it doesn't work, another path must be tried.

Following the identification path, I get ##r=\frac{1}{2}##. Check your working. If you are still getting r=2, post your working.

I also get r=1/2
d=1/2(1-k)/(1+k)
And R=1/2( (1+k)/(1-k) -1) !

What is the purpose of finding the parameters of a curve in differential geometry?

The parameters of a curve in differential geometry are used to describe the shape and behavior of a curve in a given space. This information is crucial in understanding the geometric properties of a curve and can be used in various applications such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics.

How do you find the parameters of a curve in differential geometry?

The parameters of a curve can be found by using various mathematical techniques such as the arc length parameterization or the natural parameterization. These methods involve calculating the length of the curve and its derivatives to determine the parameters that best describe its shape.

What is the difference between the arc length parameterization and the natural parameterization?

The arc length parameterization uses the arc length of the curve as the parameter, while the natural parameterization utilizes the curvature of the curve. The two methods can yield different results and are used in different contexts depending on the specific properties of the curve being studied.

Why is it important to find the parameters of a curve in differential geometry?

Finding the parameters of a curve allows us to quantitatively describe its shape, which is essential in understanding its behavior and making predictions about its behavior in a given space. This information is crucial in many fields, including engineering, physics, and mathematics.

What are some real-world applications of finding the parameters of a curve in differential geometry?

The parameters of a curve have numerous applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. For example, in computer graphics, the parameters of a curve are used to create smooth and realistic animations. In robotics, they are used to plan the motion of robotic arms. In physics, they are used to model the motion of particles in space.