Find the power required to pull loop through constant magnetic field

In summary, the wire shown is being pulled through a constant magnetic field of 0.25 Tesla at 3 m/s. To find the power required to pull the loop at this speed, the force on the wire in the magnetic field must be calculated. This can be done using the equation F = BILsinθ, where B is the magnetic field, I is the current, L is the length of the wire, and θ is the angle between the wire and the magnetic field. To find the current, Ohm's law can be used, where I = V/R. However, without knowing the voltage, another method must be used. One option is to use the equation P = I^2R, where P is
Covenant32

Homework Statement

The wire shown is being pulled through a constant magnetic field of 0.25 Tesla at 3 m/s.

A) Find the power required to pull the loop at this speed.
B) If the wire has a resistance of 100 ohms, what is the current in the wire?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to teach myself this problem, as I missed a week of school because of a back surgery and the slides I was given are wholly inadequate. I am not looking for a simple solution, but an explanation and a little bit of guidance to point me in the right direction would be stupendous.

This isn't a homework problem (as in it has a due date) but it is in the back of the book and is listed as difficult.

The picture (I have drawn) is here: http://twitpic.com/7e6nad

Thank you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the loop consisting of atoms.Each atom has electron's and in metals these electrons are free to move.Due to action of magnetic field we have force on electron as e*(v x B). Here 'x' is cross product of vectors.So electrons move to one end and all protons remain where there are.Thus creating a potential difference and causing a current.And yes power is force is= Force*Velocity=e*(v x B) * v=e*(v^2)*B.
Value of potential Difference=B*l*v
Where l is length of rod.It must be given.
Otherwise use power I^2*R(resistance)=F*v.
Get current.
B is magnetic field and v is velocity of electron and e is charge on electron.

Last edited:
Power = force x velocity.
Do you know how to calculate the force on the wire in the magnetic field?

what is the force acting on the wire due to the magnetic field?

q(vxB)=F since there is no electric field.

and current is dq/dt which you could say is qv, but i think power is I2R = P

Power is F*v=P

technician said:
Power = force x velocity.
Do you know how to calculate the force on the wire in the magnetic field?

Isn't it F=BILsinθ? But surely that doesn't apply here? There is no length given, after all.

For B) If the wire has a resistance of 100 ohms, what is the current in the wire? I=V/R, but I do not know the voltage, nor am I certain how I can ascertain it with the given information.

I feel that I may have jumped ahead of the class with this problem, but I really want to grasp the material.

1994Bhaskar said:
Consider the loop consisting of atoms.Each atom has electron's and in metals these electrons are free to move.Due to action of magnetic field we have force on electron as e*(v x B). Here 'x' is cross product of vectors.So electrons move to one end and all protons remain where there are.Thus creating a potential difference and causing a current.And yes power is force is= Force*Velocity=e*(v x B) * v=e*(v^2)*B.
Value of potential Difference=B*l*v
Where l is length of rod.It must be given.
Otherwise use power I^2*R(resistance)=F*v.
Get current.
B is magnetic field and v is velocity of electron and e is charge on electron.

Length of rod is not given. Truly.

e*(v^2)*B would be 3.6E-19 N?

I^2*r=F*v => I = 1.04E-10 amps? Does that seem correct?

If you have(Covenant32) calculated correctly then it might be.Method remains as stated.All rest is calculation.

1. What is the formula for calculating the power required to pull a loop through a constant magnetic field?

The formula for calculating the power required to pull a loop through a constant magnetic field is P = Fv, where P is power, F is the force exerted on the loop, and v is the velocity at which the loop is pulled through the magnetic field.

2. How is the force exerted on the loop determined?

The force exerted on the loop is determined by the formula F = IAB, where I is the current flowing through the loop, A is the area of the loop, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

3. Is the power required to pull the loop through the magnetic field affected by the size of the loop?

Yes, the power required to pull the loop through the magnetic field is affected by the size of the loop. The larger the loop's area, the more force and power are needed to pull it through the magnetic field.

4. How does the speed of the loop affect the power required?

The speed of the loop directly affects the power required. The faster the loop is pulled through the magnetic field, the more power is needed to overcome the magnetic force acting on the loop.

5. What factors can affect the power required to pull the loop through the magnetic field?

The power required to pull the loop through the magnetic field can be affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the size of the loop, the speed at which the loop is pulled, and the current flowing through the loop.