1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the residues of the function

1. Sep 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the residues of the function

2. Relevant equations

f(z)=[itex]\frac{1}{sin(z)}[/itex] at z=0, [itex]\frac{∏}{2}[/itex], ∏

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the function has a simple pole at z=0

I used: Res(f,0)=lim[itex]_{z->0}[/itex](z-0)[itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{sin(z)}[/itex]=1. This means the residue of the function at z=0 is 1.

And Res(f,[itex]\frac{∏}{2}[/itex])=lim[itex]_{z->∏/2}[/itex](z-[itex]\frac{∏}{2}[/itex])[itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{sin(z)}[/itex]=0. This means the residue of the function at z=[itex]\frac{∏}{2}[/itex] is 0.

However I think this method can not be applied on solving z=∏. How can I work it out?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try expanding sin z in a series about ##z=\pi##. Or, better yet, use ##\sin z = \sin[(z-\pi)+\pi]##. The basic idea is to get everything in terms of ##z-\pi##.

4. Sep 4, 2012 #3
    If I turn everything into z-∏, do we need to use the same method as I used to work out z=0 and z=[itex]\frac{∏}{2}[/itex]?
    But how? Turn the limit to z-∏→0?
    Because I used computer to work out the answer of z=∏ which is -1. But I still cannot get this answer by myself.

5. Sep 4, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You find the residue by evaluating the limit
    $$\lim_{z \to \pi}\ (z-\pi)\frac{1}{\sin z}.$$ Rewriting the limit in terms of ##z-\pi## is simply to make the evaluation easier. I just realized you could simply apply L'Hopital's rule to do that and avoid unnecessary complications. If you had a more complicated function, however, writing things in terms of ##z-\pi## is often less work than using L'Hopital's rule.

But say you did it with using the trig identity anyway. You should end up with
    $$\lim_{z\to\pi} \frac{z-\pi}{-\sin(z-\pi)}.$$ You might already recognize that limit, but it not, use the substitution ##w=z-\pi## to turn it into one you should recognize.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook