Find the resistivity constant homework

In summary, the conductance of a device is defined as the inverse of its resistance, and is equal to 1/R. In this problem, the current is 2 A and the potential difference is 60 V. Using the formula R = V/I, the resistance is found to be 30 ohms. To find the conductance, we simply take the inverse of this value, which is 1/30 ohms. There is no need to find the resistivity constant in this problem.
lha08

Homework Statement

The conductance G of a device is defined to be the inverse of its resistance, G=1/R. What is the conductance of a device through which the current is 2 A when a potential difference of 60 V is applied?

Homework Equations

R= V/I
R= (resistivity)X (length)/Area

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found the resistance by using the first equation, and got 30 ohms but then I get stuck...because I don't see any other formulas that that uses resistance that allows me to find the resistivity constant...and I don't have the length and area for the second equation..

Physics news on Phys.org

Why do you need the resistivity constant? Don't you just need to find the conductance, which is 1/R?

ideasrule said:
Why do you need the resistivity constant? Don't you just need to find the conductance, which is 1/R?
but don't i need the resistivity constant to find that to do find the conductance?

The conductance is defined in the question as 1/R, where R is resistance.

ideasrule said:
The conductance is defined in the question as 1/R, where R is resistance.

Ohh! I'm so stupid I didn't even read the question properly...:grumpy:
Thanks for clearing things up

1. What is the resistivity constant?

The resistivity constant, denoted by the symbol ρ, is a measure of a material's resistance to the flow of electric current. It is a fundamental property of a material that is used to calculate its electrical resistance.

2. How is the resistivity constant calculated?

The resistivity constant is calculated by taking the product of a material's electrical resistance and its cross-sectional area, and dividing it by the length of the material. This is represented by the equation ρ = RA/L, where ρ is the resistivity constant, R is the resistance, A is the cross-sectional area, and L is the length.

3. What are the units of resistivity constant?

The units of resistivity constant depend on the units of the other variables in the equation. In the SI system, the units of resistivity constant are ohm-meters (Ω·m).

4. What factors affect the resistivity constant of a material?

The resistivity constant of a material is affected by its temperature, impurities, and composition. Generally, materials with a higher temperature, more impurities, or a more complex composition tend to have a higher resistivity constant.

5. How is the resistivity constant used in real-world applications?

The resistivity constant is used in various applications, such as designing electrical circuits and calculating the voltage drop in a material. It is also used in the construction of electronic devices and in the study of materials' electrical properties.