1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the solution to the following lhcc recurrence, confused!

1. Mar 25, 2006 #1
    ello ello!
    I ran into this problem and i went in circles trying to figure it out. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Here is what i have:
    Find the solution to the following lhcc recurrence:
    [​IMG]
    with initial conditions [​IMG]

The solution is of the form: [​IMG]
    or suitable constants [​IMG] with [​IMG]
    Find these constants.
    [tex]r_1 = r_2 = \alpha_1 = \alpha_2 =[/tex]

Okay so I plugged the 2 inital conditions in for the solution form and got:
    1 = [tex]\alpha_1[/tex] + [tex]\alpha_2[/tex]
    4 = [tex]\alpha_1[/tex]*r1 + [tex]\alpha_2[/tex]*r2

I can't solve t hat, too many unkowns and not enough equations. I also tried to find a2,a3,a4, then putting it all in terms of a0 and a1, then i was like urnt, what now? THanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2006 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should have found specific values for the r's (4 and 3) before applying the initial conditions and you have a simple system of two equations and two unknowns (the alphas).

4. Mar 26, 2006 #3
    Thanks for the responce Tide but i'm still alittle lost.
    I usually found the R's when they gave me an equation like r^2+4r+2 = 0, then just solve for r to find r1 and r2. How did u figure out r1 = 4 and r2 = 3?

5. Mar 27, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did you notice that while you used the initial conditions, you didn't use the recurrance itself anywhere? What happens if you plug
    an= rn into the recurrance equation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?