1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confused what method to use on this Diff EQ! 2nd order

1. Feb 25, 2006 #1
    ello ello!
    I havn't seen an example of this type of problem. It has another variabler in the equation, i tried to divide by it, but its still in there. Here is the problem:
    Find y as a function of x if
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    y = ?
    So i divided by x^2 and got:
    y''+2y'/x -30y/x^2 = x;

This kind of looks like an integrating factor problem but not. ANy suggestions or can someone explain to me whats going on? Thanks! :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2006 #2
    I've not looked at these type of equations before either but i'll speculate an answer if it's alright with the sire.

You're told the values of y' and y for when x is 1 so substitute them in with x as 1 to get:

(1^2)y'' + 2(1x5) - (30x6) = 1
    y'' = 171

Then integrate to get: y' = 171x + c

but you're told that this is equal to 5 when x is 1 so that...

5 = 171 + c
    c = -166
    therefore y' = 171x - 166

then integrate again and find the constant again and you should get that..

y = 171(x^2)/2 -166x + 173/2

Don't hold me to that, i'm just frying logic

4. Feb 25, 2006 #3
    p.s. i'm new here. Where is everyone getting their maths type?

5. Feb 25, 2006 #4
    Rooftop, its LaTex.
    And i subbmited that answer and it wasn't right, i have infinately many tries so i'm not worried about submitting wrong answers. Anyone else know?

6. Feb 25, 2006 #5
    thanks for the heads up...

btw... you wouldn't happen to be doing some kind of radical calculus crossword puzzle would you?

edit: wait..... i don't seem to be finding any LaTex. I may need a bigger heads up...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  7. Feb 25, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

RooftopDuvet: y"= 171 only when x= 1. y'= 171x+ C only if y"= 171 for all x.

mr_coffee: You are asking the same kind of questions about the same kinds of problems over and over: This is an "Euler type" equation (also called "equipotential" equation). Remember what I told you about them last time?

8. Feb 25, 2006 #7
    Sorry Ivey, i post too much! For it to be a Euler Type doesn't i have to "be centerd around" a value?
    like [​IMG]
    around Xo = 0. These type of differential equations are called Euler Equations. But mine doesn't loook like that because its not homogenous, and it doens't say its centered around anything, do i have to modify it or somthing?

I've solved Euler Equations beofre like this one:
    [​IMG]
    and got it right, but it was equated to 0, not x

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  9. Feb 25, 2006 #8
    Worst comes to worst you can always use my favorite method: Use the substitution u = ln x. That reduces the problem to a 2nd order linear with constant coefficients.

-Dan

10. Feb 26, 2006 #9
    topsquark, what are u subbing? u = ln x? where do u put that?

11. Feb 26, 2006 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

An "Euler type equation" has x to a power equal to the order of the derivative (that's why it's also called "equipotential"). Your example,
    x2y"+ 2xy'- 30y= x3 is exactly of that kind. As for the substitution, u= ln x, I've also told you about that before.

If u= ln x, by the chain rule, dy/dx= (du/dx)(dy/du)= (1/x)dy/du and
    d2y/dx2= (-1/x2)dy/du+ (1/x2)d2y/du2. Also x= eu so x3= e3u Your equation becomes
    d2y/du2+ dy/du- 30u= e3u.
    That should be easy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?