1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation, confused on directions, F(x,y)?

1. Jan 18, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone, I am confused on what they are wanting me to do here on this problem:
    has an implicit general solution of the form
    In fact, because the differential equation is separable, we can define the solution curve implicitly by a function in the form
    Find such a solution and then give the related functions requested.
    here is my work, i think they wanted me to do, they gave no intial condition so i solved for C:

but it was incorrect :cry:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2006 #2
    Well what is supposed to be the correct answer? I can't see much wrong with what you've done.

Edit: You seem to have replaced the y with x after the integration of the exponential.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  4. Jan 18, 2006 #3
    thats a good question, it doesn't tell me. it will tell me if i get it right, not if i get it wrong. Whats this implicit general solution stuff do i have to take partial derivatives or somthing?
  5. Jan 18, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

WHY do you keep writing [itex]\frac{1}{e^{-2x}}[/itex]? Surely you know that [itex]\frac{1}{e^{-2x}}= e^{2x}[/itex]

Your instructions were to write the answer as F(x,y)= K and then write it as F(x,y)= G(x,y)+ H(x,y)= K

You already have 5e2x- arcsin(x/2)= K. Can't you just look at that and pick G and H?
  6. Jan 18, 2006 #5

Homework Helper

Going from the second line to the third line your "y" became an "x". As far as what they want:

They asked for [tex]F(x,y)=G(x)+H(y)=K[/tex]

So "Find such a solution" is satisfied by [tex]F(x,y)=-\mbox{arcsin}\left( \frac{x}{2}\right) + 5e^{2y} = K[/tex]

but the answer they want is "give the related functions requested"

so try [tex]G(x)= -\mbox{arcsin}\left( \frac{x}{2}\right) \mbox{ and }H(y)= 5e^{2y} [/tex]
  7. Jan 18, 2006 #6
    Ahhh, thanks so much everyone it was correct. weee
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?