Find the tension T of the two blocks. I think I'm doing something wrong

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
riseofphoenix
Messages
294
Reaction score
2
Find the tension T of the two blocks. I think I'm doing something wrong :(

ScreenShot2012-12-11at94641AM.png


T1 = m1g = (2)(9.81) = 19.62
T2final = T2 + T1 = m2g + m2g = (3)(9.81) + (2)(9.81) = 29.43 + 19.62 = 49.05

I did something wrong. :(
Help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Oh wait!
T1 = (m1 + m2)g
T1 = (2 + 3)(9.81)
T1 = (5)(9.81)
T1 = (5)(9.81)
T1 = 49.05

T2 = m2g
T2 = (3)(9.81)
T2 = 29.43

Is that right? Is the answer (d)?
 


That looks right.
T2 has to support 3kg, and T1 has to support 5kg.

You can also check this by looking at the forces on m1 :
T1 = m1g + T2
Your answers agree with this.