Find the acceleration of the hanging block

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
64 replies · 15K views
Emily_20 said:
Thank you so much! you're my genius hero lol. Thank you everyone else who helped me too I appreciate it very much you saved me!

You are welcome.:D
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Emily_20 said:
I understand everything so far but I am confused about this part:" If m2 is pulled by 'x' distance then m1 is pulled by '2x' distance.

So a1=2a2." how did you know that the distance is 2x?

This part is confusing too.
1418ljc (2).jpg


If m2 is lowered down by 'x' then string on the left side of the pulley is increased by 'x' and string on the right side of the pulley is also increased by 'x'.
Hence, m1 covers distance 2x if m2 is lowered down by distance 'x'.

There are two pulleys here I am talking about the movable pulley.
 
Emily_20 said:
a2=m2g/(4m1+m2) is the final answer correct?

Yes, ##a_{2}=\frac{m_{2}g}{4m_{1}+m_{2}}##
 
Emily_20 said:
Thank you, your awesome!

You are welcome.:)