1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the time for the string to break

1. Feb 19, 2016 #1
    Hi all!

I am currently working on an assignment for my dynamics course in which we need to create our own "real world" problems. I chose to do a problem which would solve the time at which the string of a lanyard would break when it is swung in a circle. My problem is with my end numbers. They seem very unreasonable but I am not sure if it is due to a calculation error, a dynamics error, or if it is simply the nature of the problem. I estimated the mass of the keys. The maximum load is from this website: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/polyester-rope-strength-d_1514.html
    The torque of the motor is an arbitrary number that I chose.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A motor is set up to spin a lanyard from rest with keys attached with a torque of 5 Nm. The polyester lanyard is 50 centimeters long with a diameter of 6 mm, assume it is massless. The keys have a mass m = 100 grams. The maximum load of polyester rope is Tmax = 3400 N. At what time will the rod break and after how many revolutions? Gravity acts in the -j direction. Neglect bending stresses and air resistance.

Schematic: http://imgur.com/V6mSuuD
    FBD/KD: http://imgur.com/AQShsEv

2. Relevant equations

F=ma
    w = w0 + at

3. The attempt at a solution

Find Angular Velocity

Sum forces in the y-direction and solve for w

Tmax – mg = mrw2
    w = 260.7 rad/s

Find Angular Acceleration
    Sum moments about the origin

M = (mra) * (r)
    a=M/mr^2

a = 200 rad/s2

Use kinematics to find the time to break

w = w0 + at

260.7 rad/s = 200 rad/s2 * t

t = 1.3 s

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

I think your calculation is OK. It just shows that 5 Nm is a "large" torque in this situation.

If you thought of the torque as due to a force F applied tangentially to the circular motion of the keys, then F would be 10 N. That might not sound like much, but that force would give the keys an acceleration of F/m = 100 m/s2. Thus, starting from rest, this acceleration would cause the keys to travel 200 meters in 2 seconds.

Did you calculate the number of revolutions of the lanyard in 1.3 s?

4. Feb 19, 2016 #3
    Thanks for the feedback! I was confused on what to set the torque at for it to be more realistic but I don't know what would work.

I think it gives 53.96 revolutions. Which is a ton in 1.3 seconds!

5. Feb 19, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think it's about half that number of revolutions. Still a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted