Find the time of a certain velocity

In summary: To go from v to x, integrate again.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a time-dependent force exerted on a 2.00 kg object initially at rest. The conversation goes on to discuss the use of kinematic formulas and the need for calculus to accurately solve for the time at which the object will be moving with a speed of 15 m/s, the distance the object will travel at this time, and the total displacement of the object. The conversation also mentions the need to consider initial conditions when using integration to solve for these quantities.
pberardi

Homework Statement

A time-dependent force, F = 8i – 4tj N, is exerted on a 2.00 kg object initially at rest. a) At what time will the object be moving with a speed of 15 m/s? b) How far is the object from its initial position when its speed is 15 m/s? c) Through what total displacement has the object traveled at this moment?

Homework Equations

F = ma
vf = v0 + at

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the mag of the F which is sq(80) = ma so: 8.9 = 2a, therefore a should be 4.47.
Then I used vf = vo + at. It is at rest so vo = 0 so: 15 = 4.47t, t = 3.35 and it is incorrect. Can someone please tell me what I did wrong? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the force, and thus the acceleration, is time-dependent, you can't use formulas that only apply for constant acceleration. Hint: Use a bit of calculus.

What I did was integrate the force vector to get <8t, -2t^2> = 2a but I still have two unknowns.

pberardi said:
What I did was integrate the force vector to get <8t, -2t^2> = 2a but I still have two unknowns.
(You mean = 2v.) The only unknown is the time. (Find the magnitude of that velocity vector.)

Ok tell me if this will work: F = ma so a = F/m so a = <4, -2t>. v = <4t, -t^2> but speed is the mag of velocity so 15 = sq(16t^2 + t^4). So 225 = 16t^2 + t^4 which gives me four roots one of them being 3. Is this good?

Perfecto!

Great thanks. But now I am having a bit of trouble with the position. It is asking me for the vector here so I split it up into components.
For x I get xf = xi + vxit + 1/2(ax)t^2 which is xf = 0 + 4t(t) + (1/2)4t^2 at t = 3 gives 54
For y I get yf = yi +vyit + 1/2(ay)t^2 which is yf = 0 + (-t^2)t + (1/2)(-2t)t^2 at t = 3 is -54. They give a number for the answer so I should mag the vector and I get 76.4 but it is incorrect. Please?

pberardi said:
For x I get xf = xi + vxit + 1/2(ax)t^2
Same issue as before: Don't try to apply constant-acceleration formulas when the acceleration is not constant. Same advice as before: Use calculus.

But I have already done the calculus. I am just using the v and a that I had before and just plugging them in. I really don't understand why this doesn't work.

pberardi said:
But I have already done the calculus.
You used calculus to find the velocity; now use it to find the displacement.
I am just using the v and a that I had before and just plugging them in. I really don't understand why this doesn't work.
Because the acceleration is not a constant over the interval from t = 0 to t = 3 seconds. So those kinematic formulas do not apply.

I do not know any other formulas that give me a position. Could you give me a little bigger hint?

Sure. Just like a = dv/dt, v = dx/dt.

Thanks. Just curious. Since the kinematics do not apply, what would we do if we were given an initial velocity and an initial position?

Whenever you integrate, you'll have constants of integration. The initial conditions will determine those constants.

For example, since the object is initially at rest, you know that at t = 0, v = 0. And since all we care about are displacements from the initial position, we can say that at t = 0, the object is at x = y = 0.

For the first part how do you get 225 = 16t^2 + t^4?

Picapichu said:
For the first part how do you get 225 = 16t^2 + t^4?
See post #5. To go from a to v, integrate.

Related to Find the time of a certain velocity

1. How do you calculate the time for a certain velocity?

The time for a certain velocity can be calculated using the equation t = d/v, where t represents time, d represents distance, and v represents velocity.

2. What units are used for the time and velocity in this calculation?

The time unit can vary depending on the units used for distance and velocity. However, the most commonly used units are seconds for time and meters per second for velocity.

3. Can the time and velocity be given in different units?

Yes, as long as the units are consistent, the calculation will still be accurate. For example, if the distance is given in kilometers and the velocity is given in kilometers per hour, the time will be in hours.

4. What is the importance of finding the time for a certain velocity?

Finding the time for a certain velocity is important in understanding the speed at which an object is moving. It can also be used to determine the efficiency of a system by comparing the time it takes to travel a certain distance at different speeds.

5. Can this calculation be used for any type of velocity?

Yes, the equation t = d/v can be used for any type of velocity, whether it is constant, variable, or even changing direction. However, in some cases, additional equations may be needed to accurately calculate the time for more complex velocities.