Find the top vertex coordinate of a regular tetrahedron

AS, which is a straight line.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coordinates of the vertex S in a regular tetrahedron with known base vertices. The approach involves finding the height and using the distance formula to calculate the z-coordinate. After attempting the problem and researching a solution, there is still uncertainty about the correct answer. A possible solution is suggested involving finding the center of the base and using vector equations to solve for the coordinates of S.
jwxie

Homework Statement

A regular tetrahedron has the vertices of its base A(1,1,0) B(3,1,0) C(2,1+(3^(1/2),0). Find coordinate of vertex S?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If this is a tetrahedron
image004.jpg

Then we know the length by caclulating the distance formula, which gives length of 2.

My game plan is to find the height in order to determine the z-coordinate.
I thought I could just get length of the apothem, which is given by a = [sqrt(3)/6]*s, where s is 2 in this case. this gives us sqrt(3)/3

Then I tried to calculate the length of BH... so (sqrt(3)/3))^2 + (1)^2 = BH^2
and i have BH = 2/sqrt(3), or 2*sqrt(3)/3

anyway. this leads to caclulate the height AOH, and i had [2/sqrt(3)]^2 + (2)^2 = AOH^2, where 2^2 comes from the length of AB...
and AOH is 4/sqrt(3)

I don't have any solution to this problem, but upon googling someone attempted the problem.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100903153810AAmVNTY

I am not sure where I did wrong, if that solution is corrected.
Just by looking at the z-value, I would have 4/sqrt(3)... which is different from whatever was solved on yahoo answer.

Can anyone please help me on this? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
first find the centre, H in the diagram, of the base, if you think it through you should be able to find something in terms of vectors like:
H = A + AB/2 + (AC + BC)*(1/2)*(1/3)

then you if S = (x,y,z), and now you know x & y

to find z just consider a side length

1. What is a regular tetrahedron?

A regular tetrahedron is a three-dimensional shape with four triangular faces, six edges, and four vertices. It is a type of polyhedron, or solid shape, that is composed of equilateral triangles.

2. How do you find the top vertex coordinate of a regular tetrahedron?

To find the top vertex coordinate of a regular tetrahedron, you can use the formula (0, 0, √2/√3), where the x and y coordinates are both 0 and the z coordinate is the square root of 2 divided by the square root of 3. This point is located at the top of the tetrahedron, directly above the center of its base.

3. What is the significance of finding the top vertex coordinate of a regular tetrahedron?

The top vertex coordinate of a regular tetrahedron is important because it helps to define the shape and orientation of the tetrahedron. It is also useful in calculating other properties of the tetrahedron, such as its surface area and volume.

4. Can the top vertex of a regular tetrahedron be located at any other point?

No, the top vertex of a regular tetrahedron can only be located at the point (0, 0, √2/√3). This is because a regular tetrahedron has a specific shape and symmetry, and its top vertex is always located directly above the center of its base.

5. Is finding the top vertex coordinate of a regular tetrahedron useful in real-world applications?

Yes, finding the top vertex coordinate of a regular tetrahedron is useful in many real-world applications, such as in geometry, architecture, and engineering. It helps in constructing and visualizing 3D models, as well as in calculating the stability and balance of structures.