Find the values of 'a' and 'b' for the following PDF

  • Thread starter Thread starter Saracen Rue
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pdf
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Saracen Rue
Messages
150
Reaction score
10

Homework Statement


A probability density function is defined by ##f\left(x\right)=\left|a\right|\left(x+1\right)-\left(ax-1\right)^2## where ##x∈[0,b]##. Determine the values of the constants ##a## and ##b##, given that the graph passes through the point ##(b,0)##.

Homework Equations


##∫_a^bf(x)dx=1## where ##f(x)## is a probability density function

The Attempt at a Solution


Okay, so I know I'm attempting to solve ##∫_0^bf(x)dx=1## for ##b##, but I'm rather unsure of how to do that in this instance due to ##a## being a second unknown variable.

I've attempted finding the x-intercept, ##b## of ##f(x)## but it is dependent on the variable ##a##. I then tried to find ##a## in terms of x and use that to somehow find ##b## but I soon realized that wasn't going anywhere. Normally for these types of questions, ##a## would just be a dilation factor, meaning it doesn't effect the values of the x-intercepts and can just be taken out as a common factor before integrating. I'm not sure why I'm supposed to do when it effects the location of the x-intercepts.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Saracen Rue said:

Homework Statement


A probability density function is defined by ##f\left(x\right)=\left|a\right|\left(x+1\right)-\left(ax-1\right)^2## where ##x∈[0,b]##. Determine the values of the constants ##a## and ##b##, given that the graph passes through the point ##(b,0)##.

Homework Equations


##∫_a^bf(x)dx=1## where ##f(x)## is a probability density function

The Attempt at a Solution


Okay, so I know I'm attempting to solve ##∫_0^bf(x)dx=1## for ##b##, but I'm rather unsure of how to do that in this instance due to ##a## being a second unknown variable.

I've attempted finding the x-intercept, ##b## of ##f(x)## but it is dependent on the variable ##a##. I then tried to find ##a## in terms of x and use that to somehow find ##b## but I soon realized that wasn't going anywhere. Normally for these types of questions, ##a## would just be a dilation factor, meaning it doesn't effect the values of the x-intercepts and can just be taken out as a common factor before integrating. I'm not sure why I'm supposed to do when it effects the location of the x-intercepts.
With the integral you show in your attempt and the given information that f(b) = 0, you have two equations in the unknowns a and b. That should be enough information for you to solve for a and b.
 
Mark44 said:
With the integral you show in your attempt and the given information that f(b) = 0, you have two equations in the unknowns a and b. That should be enough information for you to solve for a and b.
Oh thank you I think I understand now. Because ##b## is the x-intercept, ##f(x)=f(b)=0##, leaving us with just ##a## and ##b## as unknowns. As ##∫_0^bf(x)dx=1## also simplifies down to only containing ##a## and ##b##. Thus, I should be able to solve ##f(b)=0## and ##∫_0^bf(x)dx=1## simultaneously to find both ##a## and ##b##. Does this sound right?
 
Saracen Rue said:
Oh thank you I think I understand now. Because ##b## is the x-intercept, ##f(x)=f(b)=0##, leaving us with just ##a## and ##b## as unknowns. As ##∫_0^bf(x)dx=1## also simplifies down to only containing ##a## and ##b##. Thus, I should be able to solve ##f(b)=0## and ##∫_0^bf(x)dx=1## simultaneously to find both ##a## and ##b##. Does this sound right?
That's pretty much what I said.