1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving function f(x) is a PDf given integral relationships

1. Oct 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that ##\int _0^a\left(\frac{f\left((sin(ln(c))x\right)+\sqrt{\cos \left(e-\pi ^2\right)}}{\ln \left(\pi ^2-e\right)+\pi ^2\sqrt{\cos \left(e-\pi ^2\right)}}\right)dx## is a probability density function (when ##a=\frac{1}{\pi ^2}##) given that ##\int _0^{\pi ^2}f\left(x\right)dx=\ln \left(\pi ^2-e\right)## and that ##c## is a maximum.

2. Relevant equations
    ##\int _a^bf\left(x\right)dx=F\left(b\right)-F\left(a\right)##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm honestly completely stuck with this question. I know that ##\int _0^a\left(\frac{f\left((sin(ln(c))x\right)+\sqrt{\cos \left(e-\pi ^2\right)}}{\ln \left(\pi ^2-e\right)+\pi ^2\sqrt{\cos \left(e-\pi ^2\right)}}\right)dx## can be expressed as ##\frac{1}{\ln \left(\pi ^2-e\right)+\pi ^2\sqrt{\cos \left(e-\pi ^2\right)}}\int _0^a\left(f\left((sin(ln(c))x\right)+\sqrt{\cos \left(e-\pi ^2\right)}\right)dx##, but I am unsure of how this helps me to prove that the integral is equal to 1 (thus proving it is a PDf). By specifying that ##c## is a maximum, the question insinuates that ##c## is a variable that can be expressed in terms of another variable which in turn can be derived and solved, however I am unsure of how to form such a relationship.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

c is a maximum of what?

There are mismatched brackets related to f.
    It looks like the problem depends on c, which is odd. What exactly do you know about c?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted