Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume V of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line.
    y = 5x, y = 5[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] about y = 5

2. Relevant equations
    A(x)=∏(R2-r2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    A(x)=∏(5x)2-(5[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex])2)
    A(x)=∏(25 x2 - [itex]\frac{10}{3}[/itex]x[itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex])

V=∏[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex](25x2- [itex]\frac{10}{3}[/itex]x[itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex])dx

V=∏([itex]\frac{25}{3}[/itex]x3-[itex]\frac{4}{3}[/itex]x[itex]\frac{5}{2}[/itex]) {0,1}

V=∏([itex]\frac{25}{3}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{4}{3}[/itex])
    V= [itex]\frac{21}{3}[/itex]∏

Where did I go wrong? I can't figure out the about y=5. If I am correct, you would usually subtract 5 from the two radii, but since they intersect at y=5, the just flip on that intersection point and thus we don't need to find the lost area. Bad explanation, I know, maybe someone can explain it to me.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You've made an error right off the bat. I hope you sketched the region being rotated.

You aren't taking into account the fact that the axis of rotation is the line y = 5. The larger radius, R, is 5 - 5x. The smaller radius, r, is 5 - 5√x.

Also, your relevant equation is missing a factor - Δx. If you substitute the values above for R and r, you should get the right result.

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3
    Ok, that's what my question at the end was about. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to subtract the radii from 5. I'll try it out and see how it goes. Thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook