Find the x-component of the magnetic force on the wire

In summary, a wire with a length of 29.0 cm and a current of 9.00 A in the +z-direction is placed in a uniform magnetic field with components Bx = -0.204T, By = -0.968T, and Bz = -0.328 T. To find the x-component of the magnetic force on the wire, the force in the y direction was used. To find the y-component of the magnetic force, the force in the x direction was used. For the z-component, the z direction force was used, but it was incorrect. The correct way to find the force on a wire in a magnetic field is by using the formula F_B = I*L x B,
Charanjit
1. Homework Statement :
A wire with a length of 29.0 cm lies along the z-axis and carries a current of 9.00 A in the +z-direction. The magnetic field is uniform and has components Bx = -0.204T, By = -0.968T, and Bz = -0.328 T

Homework Equations

1. Find the x-component of the magnetic force on the wire. Ans: 2.5N
2. Find the y-component of the magnetic force on the wire Ans: -0.532N
3. Find the z-component of the magnetic force on the wire
4. What is the magnitude of the net magnetic force on the wire?

3. The Attempt at a Solution .
I solved question 1 and 2. But I don't fully understand why. For question 1 I used the force in the y direction and in 2 I used the force in the x direction. But why like that?
For #3, I used the z direction force, and its not correct. So kind of confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
The force on a wire in magnetic field B is given by

[tex] \vec{F_B} = I \vect L \times \vect B [/tex] where L is a vector that points in the direction of the current and magnitude the length of the wire.

So,

[tex] \vec{L} = 0.29k [/tex]
[tex] \vec B = -2.04i-0.968j-0.328k [/tex]

Compute the cross product using a determinant.

Oh ok, kind of forgot myu calculus a bit. Read over my notes from Cal class, makes sense now. Thanks.

1. What is the formula for finding the x-component of the magnetic force on a wire?

The formula for finding the x-component of the magnetic force on a wire is Fx = BxIL, where Bx is the magnetic field strength, I is the current through the wire, and L is the length of the wire.

2. How do you determine the direction of the x-component of the magnetic force?

The direction of the x-component of the magnetic force can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the current, and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field. The direction of the x-component of the magnetic force will be perpendicular to both your thumb and fingers.

3. Can the x-component of the magnetic force be negative?

Yes, the x-component of the magnetic force can be negative. This means that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive x-axis.

4. How does the x-component of the magnetic force affect the motion of the wire?

The x-component of the magnetic force can cause the wire to experience a sideways motion, depending on the direction of the force. This can result in the wire moving in a circular path, or oscillating back and forth.

5. What factors can affect the magnitude of the x-component of the magnetic force on a wire?

The magnitude of the x-component of the magnetic force on a wire can be affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current through the wire, and the length of the wire in the magnetic field. It can also be affected by the angle between the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field.