1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the x-component of the magnetic force on the wire

1. Feb 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
    A wire with a length of 29.0 cm lies along the z-axis and carries a current of 9.00 A in the +z-direction. The magnetic field is uniform and has components Bx = -0.204T, By = -0.968T, and Bz = -0.328 T

2. Relevant equations
    1. Find the x-component of the magnetic force on the wire. Ans: 2.5N
    2. Find the y-component of the magnetic force on the wire Ans: -0.532N
    3. Find the z-component of the magnetic force on the wire
    4. What is the magnitude of the net magnetic force on the wire?

3. The attempt at a solution.
    I solved question 1 and 2. But I don't fully understand why. For question 1 I used the force in the y direction and in 2 I used the force in the x direction. But why like that?
    For #3, I used the z direction force, and its not correct. So kind of confused.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2010 #2
    The force on a wire in magnetic field B is given by

[tex] \vec{F_B} = I \vect L \times \vect B [/tex] where L is a vector that points in the direction of the current and magnitude the length of the wire.

[tex] \vec{L} = 0.29k [/tex]
    [tex] \vec B = -2.04i-0.968j-0.328k [/tex]

Compute the cross product using a determinant.
  4. Feb 21, 2010 #3
    Oh ok, kind of forgot myu calculus a bit. Read over my notes from Cal class, makes sense now. Thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook