Find Time t_0 for a Beam to Not Catch Up with Earth

  • Thread starter Thread starter zardiac
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Beam Earth Time
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
zardiac
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


You start at t=0 at rest on Earth and accelerate with uniform acceleration a away form earth.
Find a point in time [itex]t_0[/itex] such that when a beam emitted from Earth at [itex]t>t_0[/itex]won't catch up.


Homework Equations


[itex]x(t)=c^2/a(\sqrt{1+\frac{a^2}{c^2}t^2}-1)[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution


I think that light travel with velocity c. So if the beam is emitted at [itex]t=t_1[/itex] then at time t, the beam have traveled [itex]c(t-t_1)[/itex]. So I try to find the solution for [itex]x(t)=c(t-t_1)[/itex], and I end up with the following expression for [itex]t[/itex]:
[itex]t=\frac{a}{2c}\frac{t_1(2-a/c t_1)}{(a/c - a^2/c^2 t_1)}[/itex]

According to this the time would be negatic in the intervall [itex]t_1=c/a[/itex] and [itex]t_1=2c/a[/itex] So I think in this intevall the beam won't be able to catch up, but after [itex]t_1=2c/a[/itex] the time becomes positive again, which I don't know how to interpret.
Am I approaching this problem the wrong way?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it this way: will you ever accelerate to a speed greater than that of light? If not, how can you possibly outrun light?
 
Well it is problem 3.9 in D'inverno Introducing Einsteins relativity. I agree that it seem impossible but the problem statement is that if you get a large enough headstart the light won't catch up.
 
You should be able to show that your world line is a hyperbola. Find its asymptotes.
 
zardiac said:
[itex]t=\frac{a}{2c}\frac{t_1(2-a/c t_1)}{(a/c - a^2/c^2 t_1)}[/itex]

Note t approaches ∞ as the denominator on the right approaches 0.
 
Let's say you keep uniform acceleration a, relative to the stationary observer. After c/a time you will be moving at the speed of light. To keep uniform acceleration you need infinite amount of energy. I think the answer is c/a, just the problem is that you can't keep uniform acceleration.
 
Myslius said:
Let's say you keep uniform acceleration a, relative to the stationary observer. After c/a time you will be moving at the speed of light. To keep uniform acceleration you need infinite amount of energy. I think the answer is c/a, just the problem is that you can't keep uniform acceleration.
You've misinterpreted the problem. The acceleration is uniform relative to the moving observer. As you noted, you can't have a uniform acceleration relative to the stationary observer indefinitely.