Find True Boiling Point with Barometric Pressure

In summary, the purpose of finding the true boiling point with barometric pressure is to accurately determine the boiling point of a substance under different atmospheric conditions. Barometric pressure is related to the boiling point because as it decreases, the boiling point of a substance also decreases. The process for finding the true boiling point involves measuring the atmospheric pressure, heating the substance, and adjusting the recorded temperature. It is necessary to find the true boiling point instead of the standard boiling point because the latter may vary at different locations. Factors such as instrument calibration and impurities can affect the accuracy of finding the true boiling point.
Phyzwizz
I'm doing a lab and I was wondering how to find the true boiling point of water in a room given the barometric pressure in inches(just the equation). I looked on Google and I couldn't seem to find anything about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Safest way - don't look for equation, look for boiling point tables. Something like CRC Handbook for example, although I am more than sure they shouldn't be difficult to locate.

What is the purpose of finding the true boiling point with barometric pressure?

The purpose of finding the true boiling point with barometric pressure is to accurately determine the boiling point of a substance under different atmospheric conditions. This is important for various scientific and industrial applications, such as in chemistry experiments, food processing, and pharmaceutical production.

How is barometric pressure related to the boiling point?

Barometric pressure, also known as atmospheric pressure, is the force exerted by the weight of the air in the Earth's atmosphere. As barometric pressure decreases, the boiling point of a substance also decreases because there is less air pressure pushing down on the liquid, allowing it to vaporize more easily.

What is the process for finding the true boiling point with barometric pressure?

The process for finding the true boiling point with barometric pressure involves measuring the atmospheric pressure using a barometer, heating the substance until it boils, and recording the temperature at which it boils. The recorded temperature is then adjusted based on the measured barometric pressure to determine the true boiling point.

Why is it necessary to find the true boiling point with barometric pressure instead of using the standard boiling point?

The standard boiling point is the boiling point of a substance at sea level, where the atmospheric pressure is 1 atmosphere (atm). However, this value may vary at different altitudes and locations. Therefore, finding the true boiling point with barometric pressure is necessary to account for these variations and obtain a more accurate measurement.

What factors can affect the accuracy of finding the true boiling point with barometric pressure?

The accuracy of finding the true boiling point with barometric pressure can be affected by factors such as instrument calibration, temperature fluctuations, and impurities in the substance being tested. It is important to ensure proper calibration and precise measurement techniques to obtain the most accurate results.