Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find units of transition dipole moment

1. Jul 24, 2012 #1
    I have been trying to figure out which formula for the relationship between oscillator strength and transition dipole moment is correct.

Wiki had the following formula:

http://photonicswiki.org/index.php?title=Transition_Dipole_Moment

f = 4.703 \times 10^{29} \bar{v} \mu^{2}_{ge}\,\!

where

\bar{v}\,\! is the mean absorption frequency of the band in cm–1

\mu^{2}_{ge}\,\!, refers to the square of the transition dipole moment between the ground state and the excited state.

What I am unsure about is how they got the value of the constants and the units for it.

In another reference I had this formula:

f =[(8*pi*massofelectron)/(3*planck's const*electric)charge^2)] *vbar*u^2

When I calculate the constant using this formula I get 4.49 * 10^41. Moreover I am also confused about whether vbar is frequency or wavenumber. Since wavenumber is in cm^-1 the units don't cancel out and f is no longer dimensionless. Has anyone done this kind of calculation?

The values that I have in order to calculate the transition dipole moment is energy and f.

I use E = planck's const*frequency to get frequency and then c= frequency*wavelenth to get the wave number and plug it in the equation. In either case the value I get is very off. Can you please help me figure out where I am missing the point?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted