1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find vlaues of k so matrix has no solutions, what if u change the position of k?

1. Dec 11, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone! I have a problem, it says Find hte values of k for which the matrix sysem Ax = b has no solutions. I got the answer for this one,
    A =
    6 2 2
    -1 2 3
    2 -6 k

b =

I row reduced and ending up gettting:
    6 3 0
    0 -1 2
    0 0 14-k
    so k = 14, will give no solutions.

After that he says find:
    Image space, nullspace, col space and row space, what are there dimensions, i also did this correctly.

But what happens if he changed the problem and said, Find the values of k for which the matrix system Ax = b has infitinatly many solutions or 1 unquie solution, then what would i do different? Thanks! I'm just trying to get all angles of this problem so i don't mess it up on the exam.

Also what if he puts k in the b vector insteed of the matrix A?
    b =
    k

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

that depends on A, doesn't it. If A is invertible (cols linearly independent) then there is exactly one unique solution of Ax=b. assume A is singular. then if there exists one solution then there are infinitely many, so look if b is in the image.

depends on the A, same comments apply.

4. Dec 11, 2005 #3
    thanks for the responce, To see if A is invertiable, and to find the value of k in which there is exactly 1 unique solution, what would i do to the matrix, is what i was asking, like to find no solutions i row reduced until i got an expression of k, i got k -14 = 0;
    so if k = 14, u got no solutions, say he changed the directions and said, find k so that there is 1 uqniue solution, then would it be like
    k - 14 = ? thats what i don't get

5. Dec 11, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I told you the answer to that: if the cols are linearly independent then there is a unique solution, and the cols are linearly indepndent exactly when k-14 doesn'te equal zero. you found k-14=0 for a reason, remember. something that is not linearly dependent is linearly independent, it's a binary option. and you know linearly dependent is equivalent to k=14=0....

6. Dec 11, 2005 #5
    ohhh my bad, thanks!!! everything is running together in my mind hah sorrry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?