Find Wavelength of 8cm Closed Pipe: 7th Harmonic

  • Thread starter Thread starter ThePhysicsXV
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Wavelength
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
ThePhysicsXV
Messages
35
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What is the wavelength of an 8cm closed pipe when it is sounding the 7th harmonic?

Homework Equations


L=λn/4

The Attempt at a Solution


L=(.08m*7)/(4)
L=0.14m
Am I correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ThePhysicsXV said:
L=(.08m*7)/(4)
L=0.14m
Am I correct?

check your calculation-are you finding out the pipe length or wavelength?
 
drvrm said:
check your calculation-are you finding out the pipe length or wavelength?
Wavelength
 
drvrm said:
check your calculation-are you finding out the pipe length or wavelength?
Oh yeah wavelength, so is
λ=4L/n
λ=4(.08)/7
Since is 7th harmonic.
λ= .045m
 
ThePhysicsXV said:
Oh yeah wavelength, so is
λ=4L/n
λ=4(.08)/7
Since is 7th harmonic.
λ= .045m
I think its correct!
 
Seems a bit small to me. Is the pipe closed on both ends ? Can you check your relevant equation? Where does it come from ? Do you understand it ? Can you make a drawing ?

[edit] I was mistaken. Your answer is right for a pipe that is closed on one end and open on the other.
 
Last edited: