Rate of Energy Transferred, Aluminum Pot

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
DracoMalfoy
Messages
88
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


The bottom of a circular, aluminum pot has a radius of 8cm and a thickness of 1cm. The temperature of the stove top is 120 degrees celsius and the temperature of the pot initially is 20 degrees celsius. What is the rate at which energy is transferred through the bottom of the pot?

a. 300W

b. 2589W

c. 2.67X10^5W

d. 4.79X10^4W

e. 7.89W

Homework Equations



P=KA(TH-TC)/L

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
Thermal Conductivity(K) of Aluminum: 220 k (J/s⋅m⋅ºC)
A(Cross sectional area the energy goes through): .08m??
(Th-Tc): (120-20degreeC)
L(Distance energy travels): .01m?

Im not sure if this is the right equation to use, or if A or L is correct. I am not getting the answer this way.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
DracoMalfoy said:
if this is the right equation to use, or if A or L is correct
Right equation, right L, but the 8cm is a radius, not an area.
 
haruspex said:
Right equation, right L, but the 8cm is a radius, not an area.
i understand. i got the answer. d i think
 
DracoMalfoy said:
i understand. i got the answer. d i think
Yes, that's the nearest to what I get ... 44230W ... but worryingly different.
 
haruspex said:
Yes, that's the nearest to what I get ... 44230W ... but worryingly different.
I've noticed that the OP has several posts where the source of relevant constants is a tad dubious and differ from other more reliable sources by a fairly substantial percent. I'm not sure if these sources are mandated by the course or randomly chosen by the OP, but either way it's a bit disconcerting.
 
gneill said:
I've noticed that the OP has several posts where the source of relevant constants is a tad dubious and differ from other more reliable sources by a fairly substantial percent. I'm not sure if these sources are mandated by the course or randomly chosen by the OP, but either way it's a bit disconcerting.
I wondered about the conductivity figure, but if anything it seems a little high.