Find y'(x) and y''(x) when y is defined with an integral

  • Thread starter Thread starter maximus101
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
maximus101
Messages
21
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



For x > 0, define [tex]y(x) := x[/tex] [tex]\int_0^{log x} \! \sqrt{1 + e^t} dt -(2/3)(1 + x)^{3/2}[/tex]

Calculate [tex]y'(x) := dy/dx[/tex]
and

y''(x) := [tex]d^2y/dx^2[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



would like to work through this with person/people please. Not sure were to start
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, the FTC and the product rule will help you with that x*I(x). The second part of the function is easy to differentiate.
 
Char. Limit said:
Firstly, the FTC and the product rule will help you with that x*I(x). The second part of the function is easy to differentiate.

what is the FTC? will he first need to solve the integral?
 
The FTC is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. You could solve the integral, I suppose, but it would involve two substitutions, the first being u=e^t.