1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a basis for a subspace

1. Jan 19, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Finding a basis for a subspace

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have a subspace U in R^3 defined by:

U = {(x_1 , x_2 ; x_3) | x_1 + 2*x_2 + x_3 = 0 }.

Find a basis for U.

3. The attempt at a solution

We have the following homogeneous system:

(1 2 1 | 0).

From this I find the solution to be written as a*(2,1,0)^T + b(-1,0,1)^T, where a and b are arbitrary constants. From this I find three linearly independant vectors.

Am I correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2008 #2
    (2,1,0) isn't a solution (but it's close). Also, if your subspace contains 3 linearly independent vectors then it's all of R^3. This is obviously not the case right?
  4. Jan 19, 2008 #3
    The solution was (-2,1,0).

Yeah, I need a condition too so it is just the subspace where x_1 + 2*x_2 + x_3 = 0 - but how do I include that?
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  5. Jan 19, 2008 #4
    Well, in the answer you gave I see two vectors (one with the correction you mentioned) that appear to be linearly independent. They must be a basis of the solution space, right?
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  6. Jan 19, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You solved the homogeneous system and found the solution a*(-2,1,0)+b*(-1,0,1). That means (-2,1,0) and (-1,0,1) are in the subspace and they span it. They are also independent. 1) Anything in their span already automatically solves x1+2x2+x3=0, since that relation is linear. 2) What do you mean 'three' independent vectors??
  7. Jan 19, 2008 #6
    They must be basis for U. I only have two linearly independant vectors so far (not three as I wrote originally, sorry) - I need three linearly independant vectors that satisfy x_1 + 2*x_2 + x_3 = 0, right? How do I find the third?
  8. Jan 19, 2008 #7
    Doesn't U have to be spanned by three (3) vectors, since it is a subspace of R^3? If not, why?
  9. Jan 19, 2008 #8
    You can't find a third unless the solution space is all of R^3. You have two independent vectors that solve the equation so they must span the solution space.
  10. Jan 19, 2008 #9
    Ok, thanks to both of you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?