Finding a basis for a subspace

In summary, the conversation is about finding a basis for a subspace U in R^3 defined by x_1 + 2*x_2 + x_3 = 0. The solution is (-2,1,0) and (-1,0,1) which are linearly independent and span the subspace. The subspace cannot be spanned by three vectors unless it is all of R^3.
Niles
[SOLVED] Finding a basis for a subspace

Homework Statement

We have a subspace U in R^3 defined by:

U = {(x_1 , x_2 ; x_3) | x_1 + 2*x_2 + x_3 = 0 }.

Find a basis for U.

The Attempt at a Solution

We have the following homogeneous system:

(1 2 1 | 0).

From this I find the solution to be written as a*(2,1,0)^T + b(-1,0,1)^T, where a and b are arbitrary constants. From this I find three linearly independant vectors.

Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
(2,1,0) isn't a solution (but it's close). Also, if your subspace contains 3 linearly independent vectors then it's all of R^3. This is obviously not the case right?

The solution was (-2,1,0).

Yeah, I need a condition too so it is just the subspace where x_1 + 2*x_2 + x_3 = 0 - but how do I include that?

Last edited:
Well, in the answer you gave I see two vectors (one with the correction you mentioned) that appear to be linearly independent. They must be a basis of the solution space, right?

Last edited:
You solved the homogeneous system and found the solution a*(-2,1,0)+b*(-1,0,1). That means (-2,1,0) and (-1,0,1) are in the subspace and they span it. They are also independent. 1) Anything in their span already automatically solves x1+2x2+x3=0, since that relation is linear. 2) What do you mean 'three' independent vectors??

They must be basis for U. I only have two linearly independant vectors so far (not three as I wrote originally, sorry) - I need three linearly independant vectors that satisfy x_1 + 2*x_2 + x_3 = 0, right? How do I find the third?

Doesn't U have to be spanned by three (3) vectors, since it is a subspace of R^3? If not, why?

You can't find a third unless the solution space is all of R^3. You have two independent vectors that solve the equation so they must span the solution space.

Ok, thanks to both of you.

1. What is a basis for a subspace?

A basis for a subspace is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the entire subspace. This means that any vector in the subspace can be written as a unique linear combination of the basis vectors.

2. How do you find a basis for a subspace?

To find a basis for a subspace, we need to first determine the dimension of the subspace. Then, we can use Gaussian elimination or row reduction to find a set of linearly independent vectors that span the subspace. These vectors will form the basis for the subspace.

3. Can a subspace have more than one basis?

Yes, a subspace can have multiple bases. This is because there are usually many different combinations of linearly independent vectors that can span a given subspace. However, all bases for a given subspace will have the same number of vectors, which is equal to the dimension of the subspace.

4. How do you know if a set of vectors is a basis for a subspace?

A set of vectors is a basis for a subspace if they are linearly independent and span the entire subspace. This means that none of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the others, and any vector in the subspace can be written as a unique linear combination of the basis vectors.

5. Can a subspace have an infinite number of basis vectors?

No, a subspace can only have a finite number of basis vectors. This is because the basis vectors must be linearly independent, and a finite set of vectors can only have a finite number of linearly independent combinations. The number of basis vectors for a subspace is equal to the dimension of the subspace.