Finding a basis for a subspace

In summary, the conversation discussed the incorrect assumption that values needed to be put into a matrix, and the incorrect guess that it could be done with {(1, 2, -1, 0),(1, -5, 0, -1)}. The conversation then requested hints on how to proceed, and the suggestion was made to determine the number of free variables in the subspace and assign values to them for convenience.
ver_mathstats
Homework Statement
Find a basis for the subspace in R[SUP]4[/SUP] consisting of the form (a,b,c,d) when c=2a+2b and d=a-5b
Relevant Equations
c=2a+2b and d=a-5b
I had assumed that we had to put our values into a matrix so I did [1 2 -1 0; 1 -5 0 -1] and then I would do a=[1; 1] and repeat for b, c, and d. This is incorrect however. I also thought that it could be {(1, 2, -1, 0),(1, -5, 0, -1)} however this was not the answer, and I am unsure of what do to next and hints would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess I would try this:$$
(a,b,c,d) = a(1,0,?,?) + b(0,1,?,?) $$
and fill in the ? spaces to make it work.

One way that helps me make sense is to first determine the number of free variables in your subspace, i.e., variables that can take on any value. Then you choose to assign values by convenience to these (usually value 1, 0 are used/convenient).

1. What is a basis for a subspace?

A basis for a subspace is a set of vectors that spans the entire subspace and is linearly independent. This means that any vector in the subspace can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors, and no vector in the basis can be written as a linear combination of the other basis vectors.

2. How do you find a basis for a subspace?

To find a basis for a subspace, you can start by identifying the dimension of the subspace. Then, you can use the row reduction method to find a set of linearly independent vectors that span the subspace. These vectors will form the basis for the subspace.

3. Can a subspace have more than one basis?

Yes, a subspace can have more than one basis. This is because there can be multiple sets of linearly independent vectors that span the same subspace. However, all bases for a given subspace will have the same number of vectors, which is equal to the dimension of the subspace.

4. Is it possible for a subspace to not have a basis?

No, every subspace must have a basis. This is because a subspace, by definition, is a vector space that is formed by taking linear combinations of a set of vectors. These vectors form the basis for the subspace.

5. Can a basis for a subspace change?

Yes, a basis for a subspace can change. This can happen if new vectors are added to the subspace, or if existing vectors are removed. However, the number of basis vectors and their linear independence will remain the same, as these are properties of the subspace itself.