1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a constant from eigenfunction

1. Oct 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Since Hamiltonian operator is:

Ĥ = - (ħ2/(2m))(delta)2 - A/r
    where r = (x2+y2+z2)
    (delta)2 = ∂2/∂x2 + ∂2/∂y2 + ∂2/∂z2
    A = a constant

from Ĥg(r) = Eg(r) form, where:

g(r) = D e-r/b(1-r/b)

with b, D as constants, is an EIGENFUNCTION of Ĥ, find the correct b and give the eigenvalue E.

2. Relevant equations
    g(r) = D e-r/b(1-r/b)

Ĥ = - (ħ2/(2m))(delta)2 - A/r
    where r = (x2+y2+z2)
    (delta)2 = ∂2/∂x2 + ∂2/∂y2 + ∂2/∂z2
    D = a constant

3. The attempt at a solution
    g(r) = D e-r/b(1-r/b)
    g'(r) = -De-r/b/b - De-r/b/b + Dre-r/b/b2
    = -2De-r/b/b + Dre-r/b/b2
    g''(r) = 3De-r/b/b2 - Dre-r/b/b3

[delta_g(r)]2 = 5De-r/b/b2 -Dre-r/b/b3 - 4De-r/b/(br)

Ĥg(r) = Eg(r)
    - (ħ2/(2m))(5De-r/b/b2 -Dre-r/b/b3 - 4De-r/b/(br)) - A/r * (D e-r/b(1-r/b)) = E*D e-r/b (1-r/b)
    ..which is then reduced to:

-5ħ2/(2mb2) + ħ2r/(2mb3) + 4ħ2/(2mbr) - A/r + A/b = E (1-r/b)....I managed to cancel out constant D and e-r/b, but I am at loss how how to eliminate r?

Should I equivelate:
    ħ2r/(2mb3) + 4ħ2/(2mbr) - A/r = -E(r/b) ? I tried this way, and still haven't managed to find a way to cancel out r....to make b an independent number...
    With regard to E, if I am not wrong, I think Energy is that of an excited state, NOT ground state, except I haven't figured it out (for I have not gotten b constant), and have no idea which energy level it is....

Any hints or notices to my mistakes would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2014 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]\hat{H} g(r) = E g(r)[/itex]

gives you an equation of the form:

[itex]\frac{\alpha}{r} + \beta + \gamma r = 0[/itex]

where [itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex] are combinations of your constants: [itex]A, b, E[/itex].

That equation can only be true for all values of [itex]r[/itex] if each coefficient is equal to zero, separately. So it must be that
    [itex]\alpha = 0[/itex]
    [itex]\beta = 0[/itex]
    [itex]\gamma = 0[/itex]

So if you figure out what [itex]\alpha[/itex], [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex] are in terms of your constants, you can get three equations for your two unknowns: [itex]E[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex]. That's too many, but it will turn out that the equations are redundant--the third one is a linear combination of the other two. So you can solve for [itex]E[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex].

[itex]D[/itex] cancels out, so you can't solve for it using the Schrodinger equation, but instead you have to choose [itex]D[/itex] so that the integral of [itex]|g(r)|^2[/itex] over all space is equal to 1.

4. Oct 20, 2014 #3
    Thank you for your reply! Btw, could you please clarify:

because, according to what you've said:

α = 4ħ2/(2mb) - A = 0 --> b = 2ħ2/(Am)
    β = -5ħ2/(2mb2) + A/b = 0
    γ = ħ2/(2mb3) + E/b = 0

...but I couldn't derive b from β and γ....does it mean I solved everything from the beginning wrong?

And

For the last one, do you mean I need to normalize?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2014
  5. Oct 20, 2014 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

On the right-hand side of Schrodinger's equation for this case, you have
    [itex]E g(r) = E D e^{-r/b} - (E D r/b) e^{-r/b}[/itex]

So the equation for [itex]\beta[/itex] should have [itex]E[/itex] on the right-hand side of the equals.

But you can certainly solve for [itex]E[/itex] using the equation for [itex]\gamma[/itex]. You already know [itex]b[/itex] from your equation for [itex]\alpha[/itex]. Plug that into the equation for [itex]\gamma[/itex]

Yes. [itex]D[/itex] is a normalization constant.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  6. Oct 20, 2014 #5
    Thank you--I guess I figured out b and E, but may I ask what I should do with β? Can I use it to check b and E I found out?

7. Oct 21, 2014 #6

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

When I looked at it, it seemed that the equation for [itex]\beta[/itex] gave the same information as the equation for [itex]\gamma[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted