1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a friction force (ladder leaning against a wall )

1. Nov 6, 2009 #1
    1. MTS_st_0.jpg

Suppose that the actual coefficent of friction is one and a half times as large as the value of . That is, . Under these circumstances, what is the magnitude of the force of friction that the floor applies to the ladder?
    Express your answer in terms of , , , , , and . Remember to pay attention to the relation of force and .

2. static friction = magnitude of force in x direction, opposite sign

3. Ok, I had two exams today and I just almost went crazy calculating the the minimum friction force so that this ladder won't slip (brutal, but I did it). I am burnt out. How do I calculate N_1 here? It's the only force in the x direction other than friction, right? So by Newton's 2nd law the answer should just be friction = 1.5N_1, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2009 #2
    Could you plz tell me wha t are the know data.

4. Nov 7, 2009 #3
    ... that picture has everything except that calculated minimum friction force, which is:

cot(theta) * (Lgm_2 + M_1gd - 0.5m_dLg * (Lgm_1 + Lgm_2)^-1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook