1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can i find the absorption/emission transitions from Energy levels

1. May 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question 1)

For absorption transitions:

At n=1 the energy is 0.0eV (electron volts), at n=2 the energy is 3eV, at n=3=5eV

Question 2)

For emission transisions:

At n=1 the energy is 0.0eV, n=2 energy is 3eV and at n=3 energy is 5eV

Question 3)

The atom has energy levels n=1(0eV),n=2(2eV) and n=3(5eV). A photon has energy E=3eV which corresponds to spectral line with λ=414nm. Where would this spectral line be observed? absorption spectrum, emission spectrum, both or neither?

2. Relevant equations

ΔE between the energy levels for an absorption transition ΔE= E1 - E2 etc..
    ΔE between the energy levels for an emission transition ΔE=E3 - E2 etc..

λ=c*h/ΔE

3. The attempt at a solution

Question 1)

So to find the difference in energy ΔE between the energy levels for an absorption transition at ΔE=E1 - E2, then ΔE= 0.0eV - 3eV = -3eV but in my notes this answer is positive 3eV what am i doing wrong?

Question 2)

To find emission transition at ΔE=E3 - E2 , then ΔE= 5eV-3eV= 2eV but in my lecture notes the answer given is negative -2eV i do not see how this is possible and where i went wrong?

Question 3)

Since E=3eV, I would assume it would be an emission spectrum because ΔE=E3 - E2=3eV but shouldn't the 3eV be negative because for an emission transion ΔE=E3 - E2 in question 2 the answer given was negative.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2014 #2
    You sound like the guy in the joke that was holding a pencil with the lead end up an wondering why the lead was at the wrong end of the pencil. Try flipping the pencil around.

4. May 20, 2014 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

If an atom absorbs a photon, the energy of the photon is transferred to the atom, therefore one has ##\Delta E >0## for the atom. Conversely, when an atom emits a photon, the photon carries away some of the energy of the atom, and therefore ##\Delta E < 0##.

If the emitted photon has an energy of +3 eV, by how much did the energy of the atom change?

5. May 20, 2014 #4

I do not understand your question properly but am guessing -3eV since you said for emissions transitions are ##\Delta E < 0## does that mean for absorption transition its always E2 -E1 so i get a positive answer and E1 - E2 so i get a negative answer for emission transition for questions 1 and 2. But then in question 3 i need to find the type of transition for E=3eV since this is positive it would an absorption transition. That can not be possible since absorption transition always begin from ground state. Confused lol

6. May 20, 2014 #5
    How can i solve the issues in the OP with the three questions please any help appreciated. Thanks

7. May 20, 2014 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The symbol ΔE represents the change in energy of the atom.

So, ΔE = Efinal of atom - Einitial of atom.

This is true for both absorption and emission.

You just have to make sure that, for a specific transition, you know which energy level is the initial level and which is the final level.

8. May 21, 2014 #7
    Thanks for the help :), makes sense now in regards to my problems with question 1 and question 2. But in question 3:

The atom has energy levels n=1(0eV),n=2(2eV) and n=3(5eV). A photon has energy E=3eV which corresponds to spectral line with λ=414nm. Where would this spectral line be observed? absorption spectrum, emission spectrum, both or neither?

Since it is obvious that the photon of energy E=3eV belongs to an emission spectrum why is the 3eV positive? because since ΔE = Efinal of atom - Einitial of atom in this case it would be the Final energy 2eV - Initial energy 5eV = -3eV

9. May 21, 2014 #8

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The problem is not well formulated. Of course, if you are detecting a photon of energy 3 eV, that would correspond to emission. But a "spectral line at λ=414nm" doesn't necessarily mean that a photon of that energy has been detected.

By convention, photon energies are taken to be positive, ##E = h \nu##. The ##\Delta E## for the atom will be negative if the photon was emitted, and positive if the photon was absorbed.

10. May 22, 2014 #9
    Thanks for the help, i understand the issues i had earlier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted