1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a Point of Inflexion for f(x)

1. Apr 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The function ##f## is defined on the domain ##x≥0## by ##f(x) = \frac{x^2}{e^x}##.
    (a) Find the maximum value of ##f(x)##, and justify that it is a maximum.
    (b) Find the ##x## coordinates of the points of inflexion on the graph of ##f##.

I believe that I did (a) correctly, but (b) is where I got stuck.
    2. Relevant equations
    Point of Inflexion Criteria:
    • Is 0 at ##f''(x)##
    • Changes Sign at ##f''(x) = 0##
    I believe that's all that's really relevant, and of course differentiation, power/quotient rules.

3. The attempt at a solution
    (a)
    ##f(x) = \frac{x^2}{e^x}##
    ##f'(x) = \frac{2xe^x - x^2e^x}{e^{2x}}##
    ∴ ##2xe^x - x^2e^x = 0##
    ##2xe^x = x^2e^x##
    ##2x = x^2##
    ##x=2##
    Since the exponentially growing ##e^x## will increase at a much greater pace than the ##x^2## term, in ##f(x) = \frac{x^2}{e^x}##, there can be no other maxima.

(b)
    This is the part I had trouble on. I figured the second derivative to be:
    ##f''(x) = \frac{3x^2-4x+2}{e^x}##
    ∴ ##3x^2-4x+2 = 0##
    ##x = \frac{4±\sqrt{40}}{6} \rightarrow x ≥ 0##
    ∴ ##x = \frac{4+\sqrt{40}}{6}##

I've probably made some mistake somewhere in my algebra, or more likely that annoying differentiation, but when I plug values on either side of that resulting x back into ##f''(x)##, there is no change in sign. Am I missing something? Have I made a mistake somewhere in my algebra or calculus? I don't believe there could be any other points that equal zero in the equation I've generated, so where'd I go wrong?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this problem!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Using the quotient rule to take the first and second derivatives is the hard way to go.

Re-write f(x) = x2 * e-x instead and take both derivatives again. This can serve as a check on your original work, which I don't think is entirely correct, especially f"(x). Note: f'(x) can be simplified from your result.

4. Apr 29, 2015 #3
    I've just double checked. First derivative is (presumably) correct, and simplified down to:
    ##f'(x)=\frac{2x-x^2}{e^x}##
    Second derivative I did indeed get a different result for:
    ##f''(x)=\frac{x^2-3x}{e^x}##

After that I figured ##x=3## and it all worked out. Thanks for your suggestion! I don't know why I didn't go for the power rule in the first place, but anyways, thanks for your assistance!

5. Apr 29, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please: never again write ##1/e^x##; always convert it to ##e^{-x}##. Believe it or not, that will simplify your life a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted