Finding a Potential Function for a Vector Field

In summary: Hi everyone! I've been having a hard time figuring this one out for a while, so any help will be appreciated!Homework Statement \textbf{F}= <(2zx)/(x^2+e^z*y^2), (2ze^z*y)/(x^2+e^z*y^2), log(x^2+e^z*y^2) + (ze^z*y^2)/(x^2+e^z*y^2)>(a) Where is the following vector field defined?(b) Is this region simply connected?(c) Find a potential function for \textbf{F}.Homework Equations\textbf{F}= ∇V,
Niruli
Hi everyone! I've been having a hard time figuring this one out for a while, so any help will be appreciated!

Homework Statement

[itex]\textbf{F}[/itex]= <(2zx)/(x^2+e^z*y^2), (2ze^z*y)/(x^2+e^z*y^2), log(x^2+e^z*y^2) + (ze^z*y^2)/(x^2+e^z*y^2)>
(a) Where is the following vector field defined?
(b) Is this region simply connected?
(c) Find a potential function for [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]\textbf{F}[/itex]= ∇V, where V is the potential function.

The Attempt at a Solution

I answered (a) and (b). For (c), I computed the x- and y-components of V by integrating the x- and y-components of [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex], but I have no idea how to integrate the z-component of [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex] to find the z-component of V.

dV/dx= ∫(2zx)/(x^2+e^z*y^2)dx= zln(x^2+e^z*y^2) + f(y,z)

dV/dy= ∫(2ze^z*y)/(x^2+e^z*y^2)dy= zln(x^2+e^z*y^2) + g(x,z)

dV/dz= ∫(log(x^2+e^z*y^2) + (ze^z*y^2)/(x^2+e^z*y^2))dz

Physics news on Phys.org
The equations you've written aren't really correct (LHS should be e.g. ∫(∂V/∂x).dx), but I get the idea.
From the first two, aren't you looking for an answer like ##z \ln(x^2+e^z y^2) + h(z)##?

Niruli said:
Hi everyone! I've been having a hard time figuring this one out for a while, so any help will be appreciated!

Homework Statement

[itex]\textbf{F}[/itex]= <(2zx)/(x^2+e^z*y^2), (2ze^z*y)/(x^2+e^z*y^2), log(x^2+e^z*y^2) + (ze^z*y^2)/(x^2+e^z*y^2)>
(a) Where is the following vector field defined?
(b) Is this region simply connected?
(c) Find a potential function for [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]\textbf{F}[/itex]= ∇V, where V is the potential function.

The Attempt at a Solution

I answered (a) and (b). For (c), I computed the x- and y-components of V by integrating the x- and y-components of [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex], but I have no idea how to integrate the z-component of [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex] to find the z-component of V.

dV/dx= ∫(2zx)/(x^2+e^z*y^2)dx= zln(x^2+e^z*y^2) + f(y,z)

dV/dy= ∫(2ze^z*y)/(x^2+e^z*y^2)dy= zln(x^2+e^z*y^2) + g(x,z)

dV/dz= ∫(log(x^2+e^z*y^2) + (ze^z*y^2)/(x^2+e^z*y^2))dz

I'd say from what you've got so far that V=z*ln(x^2+e^z*y^2) looks like a good candidate for a potential function. Just try finding dV/dz and see it works. In finding a potential function, you are allowed to just guess.

You have an unknown potential function ##V(x,y,z)##. After your first integration, you know a little more about it, so it isn't completely unknown:$$
V(x,y,z) = z\ln(x^2+e^zy^2) + f(y,z)$$Instead of doing the same thing for the ##y## and ##z## variable, you should use this ##V## for your next step$$
V_y = \frac z {x^2+e^zy^2}\cdot 2e^zy + f_y(y,z) = \frac {2ze^zy}{x^2+e^zy^2}$$This tells you that ##f_y(y,z) = 0## so ##f## is purely a function of ##z##, let's call it ##g(z)##. So now you know more about ##V##:$$
V(x,y,z) = z\ln(x^2+e^zy^2) + g(z)$$Now differentiate this with respect to ##z## and compare it with the third component to see what you get for ##g(z)##.

This is the preferred method to do these problems, because it eliminates the guesswork and eliminates two integrations by doing differentiations instead.

LCKurtz said:
You have an unknown potential function ##V(x,y,z)##. After your first integration, you know a little more about it, so it isn't completely unknown:$$
V(x,y,z) = z\ln(x^2+e^zy^2) + f(y,z)$$Instead of doing the same thing for the ##y## and ##z## variable, you should use this ##V## for your next step$$
V_y = \frac z {x^2+e^zy^2}\cdot 2e^zy + f_y(y,z) = \frac {2ze^zy}{x^2+e^zy^2}$$This tells you that ##f_y(y,z) = 0## so ##f## is purely a function of ##z##, let's call it ##g(z)##. So now you know more about ##V##:$$
V(x,y,z) = z\ln(x^2+e^zy^2) + g(z)$$Now differentiate this with respect to ##z## and compare it with the third component to see what you get for ##g(z)##.

This is the preferred method to do these problems, because it eliminates the guesswork and eliminates two integrations by doing differentiations instead.

Not to disagree with you, but 'eliminating the guesswork' is not always what you want. If you can guess the potential function early in the process you can skip the whole formalism, by just checking that it works. And it often does work for this kind of problem. Not always, but often.

Dick said:
Not to disagree with you, but 'eliminating the guesswork' is not always what you want. If you can guess the potential function early in the process you can skip the whole formalism, by just checking that it works. And it often does work for this kind of problem. Not always, but often.

I'm not against shortcuts, but too often students try to work the problem just like the OP did. Then they never learn how to do it properly. I used to show my students a 2-D example where when they integrated both components of the vector and took the "common part" for their answer, it was incorrect.

LCKurtz said:
I'm not against shortcuts, but too often students try to work the problem just like the OP did. Then they never learn how to do it properly. I used to show my students a 2-D example where when they integrated both components of the vector and took the "common part" for their answer, it was incorrect.

Ok, sure. Assuming the "common part" will work without checking it is wrong. I get your point. Still checking the "common part" as are you going along will often give you a shortcut. Works for a lot of problems. Like this one. That was my only point. In this case the OP had a good candidate on the first integration.

Last edited:
haruspex, yes, I was looking for exactly that, but I didn't understand what to do with the integrand for the z-component. It turns out my professor just made an error and the term was in fact supposed to be in terms of the natural logarithm, which makes my problem disappear.
Dick and LCKurtz, thank you so much for your help! :)

1. What is a potential function for a vector field?

A potential function for a vector field is a scalar function that describes the relationship between a vector field and its corresponding scalar field. In other words, it maps the vectors in a vector field to a set of scalar values.

2. How do you find a potential function for a vector field?

The process of finding a potential function for a vector field involves taking the line integral of the vector field and checking if it satisfies the conditions for being a potential function. If the line integral is independent of the path taken, then the vector field has a potential function.

3. What are the conditions for a vector field to have a potential function?

For a vector field to have a potential function, it must satisfy two conditions: 1) the vector field must be conservative, meaning that the line integral is independent of the path taken, and 2) the vector field must be irrotational, meaning that the curl of the vector field is zero.

4. Why is finding a potential function for a vector field important?

Finding a potential function for a vector field is important because it allows us to simplify the calculations involved in working with the vector field. It also helps us to better understand the behavior of the vector field and make predictions about its behavior in different situations.

5. Can all vector fields have a potential function?

No, not all vector fields have a potential function. Only conservative and irrotational vector fields have a potential function. If a vector field is not conservative or irrotational, then it does not have a potential function and the process of finding a potential function for it will not be applicable.