Verifying the flux transport theorem

In summary, the mathematician is trying to figure out the surface element and integrate over the surface. He has found that if he parametrizes the surface with a vector in the form of (u,v), then he can calculate the surface element and the upper bound for the radius.
Zack K
Homework Statement
Let ##S_t## be a uniformly expanding hemisphere described by ##x^2+y^2+z^2=(vt)^2, (z\ge0)##
Verify the flux transport theorem in this case
Relevant Equations
flux transport theorem: $$\frac{d\phi}{dt} =\int\int_{S_t}\left(\frac{\partial \textbf{F}}{\partial t} + (\nabla \cdot\textbf{F})\textbf{v} + \nabla \times(\textbf{F}\times\textbf{v})\right)\cdot d\textbf{S}$$ where ##\textbf{F}(\textbf{R},t)=\textbf{R}t=(xt,yt,zt)## (I think?)
Let ##S_t## be a uniformly expanding hemisphere described by ##x^2+y^2+z^2=(vt)^2, (z\ge0)##

I assume by verify they just want me to calculate this for the surface. I guess that ##\textbf{v}=(x/t,y/t,z/t)## because ##v=\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}{t}##. The three terms in the parentheses evaluate quite nicely. We end up getting $$2\int\int_{S_t}(x,y,z)\cdot d\textbf{S}$$ Here is where I don't understand. So I am thinking to change to spherical coordinates, but I do not know what the ##d\textbf{S}## vector looks like in spherical coordinates. I also don't know what to integrate over. Don't we have 3 bounds that are changing? ##\theta, \phi## and ##r##? And what would the upper bound of r even look like? Would it be ##rt##?

Physics news on Phys.org
archaic said:
You can actually figure the surface element intuitively. Imagine ##\theta## changing by ##d\theta##, that gives you ##dl_1=rd\theta##, then imagine ##\varphi## changing by ##d\varphi##, that gives you ##dl_2=(r\sin\theta)d\varphi##. We then have ##|d\vec S|=dl_1\times dl_2##.
Thinking infinitesimally, the lengths are too small to be considered arcs, so we think of them as straight lines.
Kugelkoord-lokale-Basis-s.svg.png

I should have clarified. I know ##dS= r^2sin\theta d\theta d\phi##. I want to be able to "interpret" it as ##d\textbf S=(dr e_r,rd\theta e_\theta,r\sin\theta d\phi e_\phi)##, or some equivalent form (I know that is not how you interpret it as it is not a Cartesian vector), so that I can evaluate ##(x,y,z)\cdot d\textbf{S} ##

Zack K said:
I should have clarified. I know ##dS= r^2sin\theta d\theta d\phi##. I want to be able to "interpret" it as ##d\textbf S=(dr e_r,rd\theta e_\theta,r\sin\theta d\phi e_\phi)##, or some equivalent form (I know that is not how you interpret it as it is not a Cartesian vector), so that I can evaluate ##(x,y,z)\cdot d\textbf{S} ##
If you find a way to parametrize your surface with ##\vec r(u,\,v)##, then you'll have:
$$d\vec S=\left(\frac{\partial\vec r}{\partial u}\times\frac{\partial\vec r}{\partial v}\right)du\,dv$$
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_integral#Surface_integrals_of_vector_fields

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and Zack K

1. What is the flux transport theorem?

The flux transport theorem is a mathematical principle that relates the flow of a physical quantity, such as mass or energy, through a surface to the sources and sinks of that quantity within the surface.

2. Why is it important to verify the flux transport theorem?

Verifying the flux transport theorem is important because it ensures the accuracy and validity of the principle in different scenarios. It also allows for the identification of any potential errors or limitations in its application.

3. How is the flux transport theorem verified?

The flux transport theorem can be verified through experimental measurements and numerical simulations. This involves comparing the predicted fluxes using the theorem with the actual observed fluxes in a given system.

4. What are some common applications of the flux transport theorem?

The flux transport theorem has numerous applications in various fields of science and engineering, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids, electric and magnetic fields, and heat transfer.

5. Are there any limitations to the flux transport theorem?

Yes, the flux transport theorem has limitations in certain scenarios, such as when the sources and sinks of the physical quantity are not well-defined or when the system is highly turbulent. It also assumes a continuous and well-behaved flow, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.