XtremePhysX
- 92
- 0
Mentallic said:Yes you're right, but I don't understand why they'd make you stop there.
It's a 2 mark question in an MX2 paper, I think you know what MX2 is ;)
Mentallic said:Yes you're right, but I don't understand why they'd make you stop there.
ehild said:The second one is obvious: The product of the other two linear factors: z2-2√2 z+4. Check if multiplying these two factors you really get z4 +16.
ehild
XtremePhysX said:It's a 2 mark question in an MX2 paper, I think you know what MX2 is ;)
Mentallic said:Oh, well then a lot of time would've been wasted finding the other complex roots as well if only one quadratic factor is necessary. Look at how quick and easy the solution can be:
[tex]z^4+16=0[/tex]
[tex]z^4=-16[/tex]
[tex]z^4=16cis(\pi+2k\pi)[/tex]
[tex]z=2cis(\frac{\pi(1+2k)}{4})[/tex] for [itex]k=-2,-1,0,1[/itex]
Now let's just consider one of the complex conjugate pairs:
[tex]z_1=2cis(\pi/4)[/tex]
[tex]z_2=2cis(-\pi/4)=\bar{z_1}[/tex]
Therefore the quadratic factor is,
[tex](z-z_1)(z-\bar{z_1})[/tex]
[tex]=z^2-(z_1+\bar{z_1})z+z_1\bar{z_1}[/tex]
Where [tex]z_1+\bar{z_1}=2Re(z_1)=4cos(\pi/4)=2\sqrt{2}[/tex]
and [tex]z_1\bar{z_1}=4|z_1|^2=4[/tex]
Therefore we have the quadratic factor
[tex]z^2-2\sqrt{2}z+4[/tex]